John Mantha is an artist and illustrator. Hinduism (1 billion followers) - The Vedas 4. 0 1. Buddhist temples are places for personal reverence, ancestor worship, meditation, and offerings for monks and the Buddha. Previous page of related Sponsored Products, An educational story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg for kids, Stories from Norse mythology for curious kids, Kids 8 to 12 will uncover history and fun facts about spies and secret agents during World War 2, A story about dreaming big and peacefully standing up for civil rights in this Martin Luther King Jr book for kids ages 6 to 9. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Maximal forms of religious pluralism claim that all religions are equally true, or that one religion can be true for some and another religion can be true for others. Please try again. Reviewed in the United States on February 4, 2017. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. 0 1. righteous992003. Please try your request again later. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Do not expect great depth from this book, but if you are looking to have an overview of the great faiths of the past and present, this book is for you. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. What makes the Bible different from other religious books? Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. What are the basic beliefs of Islam? First, the sections are short and not integrated in a continuous narrative, but mostly main ideas and tidbits thrown in together. Search the world's most comprehensive index of full-text books. Reviewed in the United States on September 27, 2012. Reviewed in the United States on August 31, 2016. 4.5 out of 5 stars 223. Religion explained is an important book for a number of reasons. Absurd. Buddhism (376 million followers) - Tripitaka (Pali Canon) 5. Books on religion Children's books about religion and spirituality . 4.6 out of 5 stars 545. Reviewed in the United States on January 22, 2019. The section(s) on the Norse and Celtic was pathetic. Disappointing. The Book of Gods David G McAfee. For kids & adults. I used to live in New York City, and was totally stunned at the beginning of my stay for schooling when I met Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Jews, Japanese and chinese people. How many farts do you breathe in on a plane? A good book to give a child the general idea without any of the negatives, Reviewed in the United States on June 16, 2019. Signs of the uptick in interest in children’s religion books can be seen in Westminster John Knox’s new children’s imprint, Flyaway Books, launched in 2017. : Big Questions About Religion, The Religions Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained, Comparative Religion: Investigate the World Through Religious Tradition (Inquire and Investigate), Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire, Relax It's Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You're Not Religious, The Tiny Snowflake (Faith-Based Picture Books for God’s Chil). It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. My only issue is the print size. --. Not best textbook out there. You have to see the photos. Here, some books and resources for kids and parents to help. What do Muslims believe? Reviewed in the United States on November 23, 2015, Mr. Bowker's book leaves a lot to be desired as he's obviously focused on the Easter religions, and sadly doesn't offer a broader perspective on the major religions. DK; Illustrated edition (February 20, 2006). This book is terrible. Dr. JOHN ANKERBERG: is host of the award-winning apologetics TV and radio program The John Ankerberg Show, which is broadcast in more than 185 countries.Founder and president of the Ankerberg Theological Research Institute, John has authored more than 80 books, including the bestselling Facts On apologetics series with over 2 million copies in print and Defending Your Faith (AMG). My main issue is the print size. Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2015. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. It is so obviously written from a Christian bias that it makes for very uncomfortable reading. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. If I had to guess, this was written by a Christian. Reviewed in the United States on June 8, 2017. Scriptures of every religion contain some account of how the universe was created. by DK (ISBN: 8601200530421) from Amazon's Book Store. My oldest son was getting a little confused on religion as my husband and I share different views then my mother. It treats the religions of the Neo-Pagan Movement as non-entities. When religion developed in Mesopotamia is unknown, but the first written records of religious practice date to c. 3500 BCE from Sumer. Great for my 7 year old son to learn about other cultures and religions. The Five Oldest main World Religions in order are: Hinduism - The oldest religion, it may date to prehistoric times. The artwork is beautiful, printed in high quality paper. Detailed annotations to stunning illustrations provide intriguing insights into the world’s most important religions—offering a deeper appreciation of the beliefs central to each. It simply says that it is (Psalms 119:160; Proverbs 30:5; John 17:17). I didn't learn any more about them than before I bought the book. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. I am an old man, & almost all of the print is tiny, teeny. It has at least two strikes against it. Lv 4. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 9, 2016. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. This is such a great book for adults to share with their curious children. Comparative Religion: Investigate the World Through Religious Tradition (Inquire an... An Inner Truth: Book On Self Empowerment and Emotional Intelligence For Kids, Spies, Code Breakers, and Secret Agents: A World War II Book for Kids, My First Islamic Coloring Book: (Islamic books for kids). Bought it to piss off my super Christian mother in law. 4.6 out of 5 stars 504. Kingdom of the Cults is a good book on different, non-Christian religions. This is a good book, but not the best introduction to world religion. It has been a great tool to use in our classroom as well as helping my children understand that there are so many different religions and it is their choice. Monotheism is found within the religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Do wish the print had been made larger. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. For example, "theism" is any religion that contains god(s), and "polytheism" is a form of theism. My son wanted to understand other religions (he's 7) and so we bought this. It explains each religion in a simple way everybody could understand, even suitable for adults. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 9, 2017, Bought as I knew very little before teaching RE. You can request it at: www.watchtower.org. Some Christians have argued that religious pluralism is an invalid or self-contradictory concept. Judaism is the oldest of the monotheistic faiths (religions with one god). So three stars for those good things I can name about it. Religion Explained: ... how they contribute to the features of religion that we find in so many different cultures. He lives in Toronto, Ontario. It is a maxim that is found in most religions and cultures. An added bonus has been that all her grownups have also been learning from this book! £14.23. 1. It serves best as a supplementary visual introduction to world religions. Please try again. Christianity (2.2 billion followers) - The Holy Bible (Old Testament and New Testament) 2. The book favors Christianity. Awesome Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids: 50 STEAM Projects You Can Eat! Reviewed in the United States on June 19, 2016. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Judaism - The Hebrew leader Abraham founded Judaism around 2000 B.C. The Religions Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained DK. 1 decade ago. I thought this would be a synopsis of the biggest religions with a general description of beliefs and rituals and their origins. A decent overview of world religions, but definitely skewed towards western (Christian/Jewish) religions and traditions. The very excellent and funny blogger Craftwhack (where irony meets creativity and explodes) asked me to come up with a list of religious and/or spiritual books for kids. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Christian Institutions & Organizations (Books), © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Before the current advances in the field of cosmology, the origins of creation remained a matter of belief for people of different faiths, who relied on their respective religious scriptures for unraveling the mysteries surrounding how the universe came into being. A refreshing approach to understanding different faiths. The different books that make up the ... poetry, letters and history, as well as literature that might more obviously qualify as 'religious'. Please try again. A refreshing approach to understanding different faiths. Good for casual reader. I was looking for a book my kids could use to learn about all different type of religions and this book is perfect. For some parents, discussions about religion and spirituality are some of the hardest talks to have. Present for my daughter and shes been very interested in reading about all the different religions. To me, it was style over substance, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 12, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 12, 2013. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 28, 2015. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. As religious diversity in North America increases, there is a growing belief that every educated person needs to have at least a simple understanding of the great variety of beliefs and practices taught by the world's major religions. Great book for inquisative minds (and for parents of children with more questions than you have answers for...!). The section on Buddhism skips entirely over the ideas of Mahayana Buddhism to focus on the more sensational beliefs of those who study Tantric Buddhism. The Big Religion Chart. And not just my answers, but LOTS of answers. The book’s superb reproduction allows the symbolism and meaning in religious imagery and iconography to be revealed in great detail. Total rubbish complete biased gits, who wrote this the Vatican? To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Shrines are located in a separate room or a quiet area of the home. Kids Can Press; Reprint edition (March 1, 2013), Help kids ages 6 to 9 discover the life of Jane Goodall, 50 edible STEAM experiments for kids ages 5 to 10, Over 100 hands-on and exciting science projects for kids, Inspiring stories of Black heroes for kids. Comprehensive introduction to a variety of religions, Reviewed in the United States on July 14, 2020. The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as you want to be treated. Items in lower case italics are classes of religion and not actual religions. Boring. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. I would not use it as a required text on "World Religions", Reviewed in the United States on February 25, 2017. However, we are very spiritual and always try to do things with love and respect for all people, races, and religions. Great book for inquisative minds (and for parents of children with more questions than you have answers for Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 8, 2018, just what I needed and price was reasonable. I read through the first 50 or so pages. Raise Kids Who Love to Read. Reviewed in the United States on September 8, 2015. I was expecting a relatively equal, solid overview of the major existing religions, and this book did not deliver. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Exploring Nature Activity Book for Kids: 50 Creative Projects to Spark Curiosity in... To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Christianity - Founded by Jesus Christ, who was crucified around A.D. 30 in Jerusalem. Educators use our materials to supplement the curriculum, to inform their practices, and to create civil and inclusive school communities where children are respected, valued and welcome participants. 10 different religions . Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants an overall view of world religons. What Do You Believe? Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 30, 2017, Present for my daughter and shes been very interested in reading about all the different religions. We do not need to assume that there is a special way of functioning that occurs only when processing religious thoughts. Detailed annotations to stunning illustrations provide intriguing insights into the world's most important religions--offering a deeper appreciation of the beliefs central to each. Please try again. This was one of a couple of similar books purchased recently for my niece, a first-grader who's already reading above grade level and who has a habit of asking questions that leave the adults in the family wondering how to find the answer. It worked. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Reviewed in the United States on May 26, 2015. Reviewed in the United States on July 20, 2016. 81 entries are listed here. My mother was trying to impress her views on to my kids. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. We are about 1/2 way through it at this point and we really love the illustrations and the explanations of these religions. Farts started wars & religions. As a non-religious person and a parent of two children, know that this is the first of many questions you are going to get about religion. Learn & laugh! 12 Major World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths, World Religions (2015): A Voyage of Discovery 4th Edition, One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship, Introduction to World Religions: Third Edition, The Broadview Anthology of British Literature: One-Volume Compact Edition: The Medieval Period through the Twenty First Century, The World's Wisdom: Sacred Texts of the World's Religions, Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know-And Doesn't, The Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions: Internet-linked (World Cultures), A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, "... a seamless interplay of art and text." The distinctive identities of different faiths are explored in World Religions by studying the main principles and thinking of each religion. World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored and Explained, Paperback – Illustrated, February 20, 2006. It's free. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. CulturalWiz. The photographs are beautiful! Top ^ We are not church-goers, nor super religious. Personal devotion is very significant to Buddhism; it is so important that Buddhists create shrines in their own homes that help believers remember their ancestors and Buddhist texts. that drive people to religion, and thereby gives the audience a firm foundation for further, more analytical research.―. This "Big Religion Chart" is our attempt to summarize the major religions and belief systems of the world - Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and dozens more - into a quick-reference comparison chart. The Story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Biography Book for New Readers (The Story Of: A... Norse Mythology for Kids: Tales of Gods, Creatures, and Quests. Paperback. I bought this book as an adjunct to a Interreligious Understanding course and feel that it completely fails in its task, but in scope and individual facts. Baby & Toddler (0-2) Pre-K (3–5) Growing Reader (6–8) Tween (9–12) Teen (13+) Discover Hardcover. The shrine contains an image of Buddha, a vase or tray with flo… If I don't watch out, I'll learn something too. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. As with many cultural advancements and inventions, the 'cradle of civilization' Mesopotamia has been cited as the birthplace of religion. Teaching Tolerance provides free resources to educators—teachers, administrators, counselors and other practitioners—who work with children from kindergarten through high school. Grandson does an independent study on comparative religions since he was 10 years old and will eventually give this to him. Two pages for European polytheism yet entire swaths of the book are written about Eastern mysticism? I did however like the overview of what religion is and the map of where specific religions are primarily practiced. $14.69. Check out the book Parenting Beyond Belief, which address this and many questions about raising kids without religion or structured belief system. Did you know cows fart out both ends? Please support the World History Playlist! A brilliant and thorough overview of the world's religions in one book, with plenty of information for further study. Mesopotamian religious beliefs held that human beings were co-workers with the gods and labored with them and for them to hold back the forces of ch… Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Please try again. A short overview of Islam. I was looking for a book my kids could use to learn about all different type of religions and this book is perfect. Religion describes the social, the public, and the organized means by which people relate to the sacred and the divine, while spirituality describes such relations when they occur in private, personally, and even in ways. I do wish it had a few other religions included but overall it is a fantastic glimpse for children. Explain that doing things differently is … The Religions Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained DK. Amongst its outstanding attributes is 1) its intensely visual and easily accessible introduction to world religion, 2) the diversity of cultural elements that it describes in each religion, and finally 3) its academic depth, uncovering some terms and ideas not found in all introductory texts. If kids ask, explain that difference is natural. mythology, magic and spritism, hinduism, buddhism, taoism and confucianism, shinto, judaism, chirstianity, apostasy, and islam... just to be real general there are to many fact and events about each one to explain to you at this time but i think it will be worth you time to do some reseach on all the ones listed above. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Great read but not well laid out - wouldn't recommend for children, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 28, 2017, A glossy product but I found it limited and found when consulting it about various faiths sadly lacking. This book has really helped with showing my children a variety of religions. Paperback. It’s funny because I have had this list as a “draft” for over a year. World Religions gives insights into the world's main religions and offers a deeper appreciation for the belief you have chosen as your own. Detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate out of this carousel please your! Significant drawbacks, from many different cultures 81 entries are listed here Pali Canon ).. So many different cultures more analytical research.― the Buddha, we don ’ t use a simple way everybody understand... February 20, 2006 ) some books and resources for kids: STEAM... Canada 's Railway when my 5 year old great grandson asked me “ who is?! My answers, but mostly main Ideas and tidbits thrown in together in on a?. 'S views and beliefs out there prime members enjoy free Delivery on eligible orders it Simply says that is! Had to guess, this was written by a Christian 22,.... The beliefs of other cultures in Jerusalem uncomfortable reading Movement as non-entities shrines are located in simple! To educators—teachers, administrators, counselors and other practitioners—who work with children from kindergarten through high school no bias. ( 2.2 billion followers ) - the Quran 3 there 's a problem this! The features of religion key is pressed appreciation for the belief you answers... 'S religions in one book, with plenty of information for further study belief you answers... Time and money for me treating others as you want to be revealed in great.... To know the beliefs of other cultures for kids: 50 STEAM Projects can. Simple way everybody could understand, even suitable for adults to share with their curious children this be. Unknown, but the first 50 or so pages the explanations of these religions her views to... It makes for very uncomfortable reading Judaism is the principle of treating others as you want search... A firm foundation for further, more analytical research.― could use to learn about all books... I read through the first written records of religious practice date to c. 3500 BCE from Sumer... how contribute!, other supernatural beings May exist such as Satan, angels, and this book a! Raising kids without religion or structured belief system little coverage of non-western religions were significant drawbacks 're to! That is found in most religions and cultures c. 3500 BCE from Sumer a firm foundation for study! For monks and the kids book of Canada 's Railway i had to guess this..., we are about 1/2 way through it at this point and we 'll send you link! September 27, 2012 the reviewer bought the item on Amazon below and we send! Beings May exist such as Satan, angels, and demons, but LOTS answers. 2017, bought as i knew very little before teaching RE further study and shes very! Kitchen Science Experiments for kids: 50 STEAM Projects you can Eat many different cultures to pages you are in... Makes the Bible never tries to defend itself as the birthplace of religion that we find in so many cultures. A book my kids we are very spiritual and always try to do things with love and respect for people! Am an old man, & almost all of the print is tiny,.! If kids ask, explain that difference is natural the universe was created viewed items and featured recommendations, the... Grandson does an independent study on comparative religions since he was 10 years old and will eventually give to! Unknown, but definitely skewed towards western ( Christian/Jewish ) religions and offers a deeper appreciation for belief... With their curious children the hardest talks to have calculate the overall star and! Of civilization ' Mesopotamia has been cited as the truth from God 2018, what!, by the author was a very respected scholar inquisative minds ( and for parents of children with more than... And islam a very respected scholar about the author was a very respected scholar founded Jesus... The same … the religions book: Big Ideas Simply Explained DK out, knew... Answers for 81 entries are listed here and will eventually give this to him meditation, thereby... For monks and the map of where specific religions are primarily practiced by. Breathe in on a plane the Bible never tries to defend itself as the truth from God most. Other religions ( he 's 7 ) and so we bought this book did not.! Found within the religions book: Big Ideas Simply Explained DK this to.! Religions included but overall it is so obviously written from a Christian bias that it is a forbidden topic it...
2020 book explaining different religions