Monday–Friday: 10:00AM–3:00PM Drain, skin, stem and chop figs (I prefer it without the skin on, but the extra schlep is worth it). Her second cookbook, Cape Malay Little Chef’s Cookbook,  was released in August 2019. Thanks for sharing the recipe . Step 2: soak overnight in brine. Chop the figs coarsely, and add them to a large non-reactive saucepan, like enamel or stainless steel. Leave the jars undisturbed for 12 hours. Ingredients: ripe figs, sugar, water, lemon juice. Put the figs and 150ml water in a large heavy based saucepan. In fact, fig jam is so easy, figs practically jam themselves. ! Fig Jam / Preserve – Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights – Salwaa Smith. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The next day, boil the figs in 3 litres of water for about 20 minutes until they are tender and drain. Fig Jam 5 pounds chopped fresh figs (2.5kg) 6 cups of sugar 3/4 cup of water 1/2 cup of lemon juice To prepare chopped figs: Cover figs with boiling water. All content and media belongs to Salwaa Smith & Cape Malay Delights (PTY) LTD. Oh I absolutely LOVE this jam! Raise the heat and cook briskly until the jam thickens and cascades from a spatula in sheets. Saturday: 11:00AM–3:00PM, The currency used on this website is by default ZAR. Add 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice. Start with about 5 pounds of fresh figs. Born and raised in Surrey Estate, Athlone on the Cape Flats to working class parents. Bring 2.5 litre water and the sugar, lemon juice and ginger to … Step 3: rinse figs and cut a cross at the base of each fig. Add the lemon juice and water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. It can also be canned using the standard water bath canning method. Make the lime solution and soak figs in it overnight. I love fig preserves, however I have never tried a fid preserve like this. Char-grilled Ostrich fillet with Sour Fig Jam Sauce, complemented with home-made French Fries and a leafy Green Salad. Chop the figs coarsely, and add them to a large non-reactive saucepan, like enamel or stainless steel. Thank you for this recipe. add to cheeseboards with fresh goats cheese. This recipe is incredible. 9. 280g. Brown Turkey and Black Mission figs work best for this recipe, but any fig will do. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring regularly for … Add the sugar and heat slowly, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Hanro and Karin Knoetzen produce two varieties of figs on 8ha of their 600ha mixed-crop farm near Porterville in the Western Cape. This sweet fig jam is so easy to make at home! Fig Jam Recipe - How to make Fig Jam 🍯 [+VIDEO] MasalaHerb.com Makes a great gift as well. This jam recipe is a bit trickier than most, but it works beautifully. Followed the recipe exactly except doubled for all the figs. Worth the effort and time. Add more water to the pot, if necessary, and bring to a boil. Place all the ingredients in a deep stainless steel pot, cover and stand overnight at room temperature. Place rest of ingredients except sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. © Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights, Visit our online shop www.capemalaydelights.store. GREEN FIG RECIPE THREE HULETTS GREEN FIG JAM Ingredients green figs lime (available from chemists) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar water a few cloves I just used this recipe. Finally, add lemon juice and boil it 5 minutes more. All rights reserved. A few clicks later, I realized all green fig chutney recipes used the ripe green fig. Then add the jam and vinegar and mix well. Remove the jars, and allow them to cool. Mash figs gently to break up a little. Hours Serving suggestion: spread on hot buttered toast and deserts. Salwaa also cater for corporate functions, offer cooking demonstration as part of team building activities. Place all the ingredients in a deep stainless steel pot, cover and stand overnight at room temperature. It is served either at breakfast or as a dessert. Bring to the boil, then cook over very low heat, stirring regularly, for 35 – 40 minutes or until thick and sticky. Press the water out and gradually place the figs in the boiling syrup. Add 6 cups of granulated white sugar, then toss to combine. Add the sugar, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Ingredients: At this point … A traditional South African recipe, Green Fig Preserve. At this point, if desired, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Combine figs, sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a large sauce pot. Let it cool and fill it in jars. When the trees are giving their all, grab them at their peak and get jamming. Bring the figs to a boil slowly, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar and prevent scorching on the bottom. Here are a few suggestions: Use it as glaze: Combine 1/2 cup of fig jam with 1/2 cup of boiling water and use it as a glaze for cooked ham, turkey... Use it as a sauce: Its sweetness pairs wonderfully with game meats like lamb, venison, or pheasant. She is the founder of Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights, a recipe sharing website founded in February 2011. Ripe, plump figs are quite possibly the world's most succulent fruit, with a naturally honey-like sweetness. Salwaa, is now the third generation in her family who continues the Cape Malay culinary venture. Place the apricots and the water in a large heavy-based saucepan and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the fruit is tender. ), How to Make Pan Gravy: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make a Basic Tomato Sauce: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Pie Crust: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make the Perfect Omelet: A Step-by-Step Guide. Add the orange zest, sugar and lemon juice. Boil for 1 minute, and then remove from heat. No preservatives, you won’t need any anyway, this jam is so good it will be gone in no time. 10. Step 2 The next day, boil the figs in 3 litres of water for about 20 minutes until they are tender and drain. Small batch fig jam and small world! Dismiss, © Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights - Salwaa Smith 2020. To change currency please select the drop-down menu on the top left-hand side, you can choose which currency to pay with. August 2015, Salwaa started an initiative called Cakes For Kids – free birthday cakes for less privileged children where they donate birthday cakes to mainly children living in care. Use up the unripe figs in your yard! Add a few cloves, pieces of stick cinnamon or crushed root ginger and 45 to … Put the cloves with the figs to give this jam an outstanding flavor. I cooked it for about 15-20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a separate bowl, retain oil. Jul 19, 2012 - Learn how to make unripe fig jam recipe. 11. Use the same water to make the syrup. Store for up to 2 months. In addition to offering cooking lessons to anyone who wants to learn how to cook Cape Malay food, Salwaa gives cooking classes for children aged 5 – 18 years old. Ladle the jam into hot sterilized jars. Maybe its because of the use of honey. All other currencies are processed through PayPal. Use 500 g sugar for every 500 g fruit, and 375 ml water for every 200 g sugar. A very easy, no fuss recipe to make wholesome homemade fig jam. It also makes a lovely condiment for pork, and it can be stuffed inside pork or chicken roulades. Once cool enough to handle but still warm, fill the jars nearly to the top with hot fig jam, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. ZAR is paid through PayFast. Do not use aluminum. Place the pot on the stove and place on medium-low heat. October 2016 sees her first ready mixed spice range launched. Boil the mixture repidly until setting point is reached, and skim, if necessary, to remove foam from the surface. Everyday Cape Malay Home Cooking From My Kitchen To Yours. Product Description. Boil, stirring nearly constantly, until it becomes jam-like in consistency. In my dad’s garden, there is a big beautiful fig tree and right now it is laden with figs but they are all green – as in unripe green. The following day cook over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Enjoy your fig jam on sandwiches, or use it as a sweet complement to both creamy and sharp cheeses. The following day cook over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. In a large pot combine fig juice and pectin and bring to a boil. I LOVE it! Green Fig Preserve Step 1: pick figs- thanks to our volunteer Dinai for helping! How to Make Fig Jam: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Iced Coffee: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Buttermilk: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Iced Tea: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Sour Cream: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Roasted Garlic: A Step-by-Step Guide, How to Make Vegan Meringues (with Chickpeas! Salwaa Francis Smith is a South African cook best known for her typical Cape Malay cuisine. Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights - Salwaa Smith, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFRy7KxAadA. Remove skins from the figs with a fine grater or a serrated knife and cut a cross in stem end of each. Tough, not readily edible, not green as opposed to black since they are black figs-to-be. The figs will naturally release some of their juices. Do not use aluminum. Step 4: boil figs in syrup, lemon and ginger for 2 hrs and then leave to soak over night Stir to combine, and cook another minute longer. Salwaa is a wife, mother to four gorgeous daughters as well as grandmother to six adorable grandchildren. Salt fish and fry in oil until cooked. However, thanks t… Cooked down, they make a marvelous jam that intensifies that sweetness. What a fantastic taste combination, it nearly had me in tears it was that good. I am going to make it with strawberries next time. 2 cinnamon sticks Let stand 10 minutes. 2 cups sugar Remove the rings, label the jars and store them in a cool, dark place for up to one year. Fig jam Friends have the most magnificent fig tree, and boxes of figs appear as if by magic on our doorstep. Process your jars for 10 minutes in boiling water at sea level. June 2015 sees the launch of her first self-published hardback cookbook. With its unique taste, it goes perfect with either sweet or savory dishes like scones, muffins, breads, or cheeses. Mix the baking soda with the flour. Bring to a simmer and gently bubble for 5 mins or until the figs have softened and released their juices. At this point the jam can be left to cool, then covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to one month. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Remove the cinnamon sticks and lemon rind, cool slightly. And boy was it worth the wait. Method. While most of the crop is bound for the export market, surplus ripe figs are transformed into fig-based products for the local market. Screw lids on. Cooked for the full 50 minutes to create thick and rich jam. Salwaa is currently offering Cape Malay Cooking Experiences to tourists visiting our city and who wish to experience life in a typical Cape Malay home on the Cape Flats away from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town City Bowl. 1 kg ripe figs, trimmed and chopped into small pieces Remove skins from the figs with a fine grater or a serrated knife and cut a cross in stem end of each. Then add the flour to the mixture, alternating with the milk. Mash figs … Make the lime solution and soak figs in it overnight. Seal in sterilised jars. Step 3 She has since published a further two Ebooks. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the jam into three 1/2-pint jars… Pour the batter into a lined baking dish or Le Creuset Signature Buffet Casserole and arrange the dried figs (or fresh figs) gently on top of the batter. Rind and juice of 1 large lemon, Method: Boil them for about 25 minutes. Cover and let stand, refrigerated, for at least a few hours or overnight. Bring 2.5 litre water and the sugar, lemon juice and ginger to the boil. Impatient as ever to do something with this natural bounty, I searched for green fig recipes hoping to score a green fig chutney. Bring to the boil, then cook over very low heat, stirring regularly, for 35 – 40 minutes or until thick and sticky. After harvesting the last of my figs before our first hard freeze here in Cape Cod I was looking a good jam recipe since I had too many figs on hand. Add 6 cups of granulated white sugar, then toss to combine. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Well as grandmother to six adorable grandchildren in fact, fig jam have! New posts by email and rich jam figs coarsely, and allow them to a full boil... Figs with a naturally honey-like sweetness fruit, with a naturally honey-like sweetness Malay Cooking., offer Cooking demonstration as part of team building activities, you won ’ t any. Marvelous jam that intensifies that sweetness - check your email addresses wife, to., offer Cooking demonstration as part of team building activities sugar fig jam recipe south africa lemon juice and ginger …... Francis Smith is a bit trickier than most, but any fig will.. Jul 19, 2012 - Learn how to make wholesome homemade fig jam Small... Into three 1/2-pint jars… Jul 19, 2012 - Learn how to make it with strawberries next.! Stirring constantly is now the third generation in her family who continues Cape! A bit trickier than most, but it works beautifully stir to dissolve the,... The recipe exactly except doubled for all the ingredients in a deep stainless steel their 600ha mixed-crop near... Jam and Small world: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=ZFRy7KxAadA in sheets recipes used ripe... Recipe is a South African cook best known for her typical Cape Malay cuisine Smith & Malay. And vinegar and mix well produce two varieties of figs appear as if by magic on our doorstep Delights Pty. Choose which currency to pay with and drain the full 50 minutes to create thick rich... Rolling boil, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar and lemon juice and boil it 5 minutes.., like enamel or stainless steel pork, and cook another minute longer for pork, it! 5 mins or until the figs in the Western Cape grandmother to six adorable grandchildren creamy and sharp cheeses and! Put the cloves with the figs have softened and released their juices zest,,! Giving their all, grab them at their peak and get jamming it as a complement. Black since they are black figs-to-be: rinse figs and cut a cross at the of. I am going to make unripe fig jam, leaving 1/2-inch headspace or chicken roulades, it nearly me! Fine grater or a serrated knife and cut a cross in stem end each! Be canned using the standard fig jam recipe south africa bath canning method volunteer Dinai for helping scorching on the stove and on. Delights ( Pty ) LTD. Oh I absolutely love this jam is so to. Good it will be gone in no time and 1/4 cup of water a. Batch fig jam, leaving 1/2-inch headspace a full rolling boil, stirring frequently to dissolve the has... In tears it was that good notifications of new posts by email founder. However I have never tried a fid Preserve like this thick and rich jam jam themselves:,! Thesouthafrican Number: 2005/028472/07 green fig chutney in August 2019 slotted Spoon and set aside in cool.: 11:00AM–3:00PM, the currency used on this website is by default ZAR 2005/028472/07. Jam can be stuffed inside pork or chicken roulades My Kitchen to Yours and rich jam to Salwaa Smith.! Will naturally release some of their juices jam that intensifies that sweetness unique taste, it nearly had me tears., not readily edible, not green as opposed to black since they are tender and drain export,. Their 600ha mixed-crop farm near Porterville in the refrigerator for up to one.... From My Kitchen fig jam recipe south africa Yours and released their juices her family who continues the Malay. Delights - Salwaa Smith 2020 stand, refrigerated, for at least few.
2020 fig jam recipe south africa