Wave a toy — “a sparkle wand with a ball is a good example” — at your cat. With more frequent litter box use, you can begin to expand its area. Check shelters first-hand instead of relying on what you’re told over the phone. Your indoor cat slips out of your house and runs off. Importance Differences Between Stray And Feral Cats–And How You Can Help. if you put your cat out doors just for a bit the cat wont what to go back in the house my 2 cats use to be indoor cats then i put them outdoors for a bit they dint want to come in anymore. cat here... Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. Otherwise, she would’ve contacted the local animal control person and vets in case someone had brought in a “stray.”. Extend your finger toward your kitten at cat-nose level. But it can be stressful trying to keep an escape artist kitty inside when they make a mad dash for the door each time it opens. Ideally, your cue should be specific to the walk. Never hit, kick or yell at them; they'll become afraid of you. I recently moved house with my cat, Felix, and our new place has a garden. She loves to be outside, but meows to get inside at least 10 times a day. But, when he'd slink outside, we'd just pick him up, and bring him back inside. As it was, she contacted the residential community’s management and sales office just in case anybody happened to walk in and mention seeing an unusual brown cat. Start at the basics, by greeting your cat in a way that allows him the choice of interacting with you. She'd been abandoned by (or run away from) an owner who had taken the trouble to have her neutered. My husband, an engineer, once built one for our gang out of scrap wood and chicken wire. This way, cats can experience the scents, sights and sounds of outdoors without predators getting in, or your cat getting out. With your kitten a few feet away from you or across the room, crouch or sit so you are not high above the kitten. By following these tips and tricks, you can help a feral cat become comfortable living indoors and being a member of the family. You can use a verbal cue, like “walkies,” or a visual cue, like getting out the leash and harness — or you can pair them together (say “walkies” as you get the leash out). When your cat follows you to the door, Baker says to smack “the heck out of the door” — and even “yell at the door a little while you’re at it.”, The idea is to “make them think the door is not a fun-friend after all, and their hesitation may buy you valuable seconds in the future.”. Many people think cats are better off living outside, but between traffic, diseases, aggressive animals, and poisonous substances, cats who stay indoors live much longer than those who stay outside. Use food to get your cat back inside. Donna grabbed one of her other cats, Saba, put him in the cat stroller, and headed out … only to see Webbie coming toward them. It was a regular routine, but not a funny one because we lived right off a main route. While the entire process might take longer than you were hoping, by not … When your cat uses the litter box, offer a treat as a reward. Webbie was also “very food-driven,” they said. That's fine, but it's December and very cold, so I've been calling him to come inside and he ignores me. They then went off in different directions to comb the neighborhood. I want him to be happy but I can't figure out what to do. But one day it happens — every cat lover’s nightmare. When you want to help a feral cat adjust to living inside, the following tips can help. According to Patricia Curtis, author of The Indoor Cat, “You can give [your cat] an indoor life that is rich and happy as well as comfortable and safe.”. Form is being submitted, please wait a bit. Related Story: Werewolf Cat Logan’s Rescue Story Inspires One Family To Help Their Beloved Feral FelineRelated Story: Importance Differences Between Stray And Feral Cats–And How You Can Help! Cat. Discussion. The only way to prevent your cat from leaving is to make him an indoor cat, or provide him with a fenced enclosure where he can enjoy the outdoors without leaving your premises. We had to carry her inside for two weeks for meals etc. The strange thing, he will go to anyone of my neighbors house and gladly go inside. “The first thing I did was to make up a sign and put it up in the community clubhouse,” Donna says. I'm going to assume you’ve spayed your cat, right? It was very cold outside so we decided to let her stay in our garage. Donna and Bill did this, though they went easy on the food by putting out “a scant teaspoon.”, Petfinder says to “try to communicate with your cat. Out of the blue he went out for a couple of hours yesterday evening and bounced back in … I would also give your cat a thorough examination next time you can get him indoors. If your cat always tries to zoom out of any open door or window, there are ways to keep them inside — and safe. Place a cat tree or perch near a window so she has a good view, then place a bird feeder outside so she has some up-close-and-personal action. Only let the cat out when she is hungry. Let your cat come to you and be the first to initiate any contact it feels comfortable with. When you’re ready to try petting, start by looking away and extending a closed fist. However, don’t interfere or try to initiate contact. When your cat uses the litter box, offer a treat as a reward. We took her to the vet for a free consultation and she appears to be in good health. And I can’t leave my door open 24/7, especially b/c of flies & bees. Webbie “was not a cat who had previously seemed inclined to go outside,” according to the cat’s humans, Donna and Bill. Whenever Donna and Bill ran into somebody during their search, they told that somebody about their missing “little brown cat with yellow eyes.”. This is when you really need to start thinking like a cat — like your cat, to be specific. My friend Linda also got a cat enclosure. My friend's cat also moved in with neighbours when she had a baby. While you want to keep this room quiet and just for the cat at first, you also want to spend time there every day to help the cat get used to your presence, even if you simply read out loud or talk on the phone. I posted a while ago about taking in my sister's barn cat. Some cats aren’t fully satisfied with life inside and want to explore the outdoors. Cute Tuxedo Cat. Help! Most of my neighbours have cats or dogs so I don't know why she'd rather stay with someone else. I acquired my from a cat 6 months ago from a cat shelter. Cat Doesn't Want To Stay Indoors. She used to beg to go out. You will probably have to build gradually the amount of time she spends indoors, so she doesn't protest too much. an abcess or infected wound. If you're starting your cat's retraining during the winter, a warm, dry bed to snuggle in may be just the ticket to convince them to stay inside. Even if your feral cat has never used a litter box before, you can train it on what to do. I’ve seen people mistake Siamese — a distinctive breed if ever there was one — for Abyssinians, another equally distinctive breed. I have an almost 3yr old Oriental Shorthair, who is very vocal. If not, this is the reason she's obsessed with getting out. They were “nose to nose” when Donna nabbed him. Back up their experience by explaining, when the cat next reappears, that you kept trying to tell them about the roaring water monsters. Quickly we grew attached to her, and she appeared to be pretty healthy. After reading that my heart is pounding with fear because my cat is only 11 and she is doing everything your cat used to do. My cat didn't want to come down from the top shelf of our closet. This way when you need her back inside, if she refuses to answer to her name try shaking the box of cat … She won't come in the catflap, only the upstairs bathroom window so she doesn't have to touch a carpet. By following these tips and tricks, you can help a feral cat become comfortable living indoors and being a member of the family. If your cat lives indoors, they are likely to get less exercise than their outdoor counterparts. How do I keep my cat inside? When you’re ready to try petting, start by looking away and extending a closed fist. A pet proofing barrier is similar to a pet proofing spray, except that instead of getting sprayed by harmless liquid, your cat will hear a loud and startling beep. 1. Do that a few dozen times, “and you have a good chance of getting them to you with the magic wand” when they. Two or three such experiences will convince the cat that the outdoors is no longer so appealing. Outside, the garden was shared by a number of other cats. With more frequent litter box use, you can begin to expand its area. For the past week if he has ventured outside he has run straight back in. My cat won't come inside! Had it been one of the other cats, I would have told them to tailor that to the cat,” Donna says. Especially my next door neighbor and she has 4 cats!!! My cat Zorro was always trying to make a break for it. Cats first domesticated themselves because it gave them a steady and secure source of food. How I taught my cat to stay inside. But these days, more and more people are keeping their cats inside — which means they’re safe from cars, predators and disease. Stick to a regular feeding schedule so that your cat associates you with daily feedings. They also knew that he “was not a cat to approach people.”. Jackson Galaxy, star of Animal Planet’s My Cat From Hell, in collaboration with Kate Benjamin from hauspanther.com , wrote Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat … The ads on this site allow us to raise the necessary funds to continue helping cats in need. Hi! I have two cats Layla/Loki and Loki recently got into a fight (with a neighbours cat) and had to have stitches and a cone on for two weeks. Now, some of you may remember when I got the cutest kitty ever/. I can see he is good condition and eating good, I don't know what though. Help your cat learn to associate one door with going outside. Therefore, it helps to use food to get your cat to trust you. Inside are perches of varying heights, cat beds and insulated little “tents” with fleece mattresses. Donna and Bill found and boarded up his escape route — and Webbie went back to being an indoor cat. How to Help a Feral Cat Adjust to Being Indoors. If you want to encourage contact, try putting some gravy on the tip of your finger and letting your cat lick it off. Another way to make walks more predictable is by adding specific cues that directly tell your cat a walk is coming. She doesn’t want stay inside & she’s it sure if she wants to stay outside (or so it seems). On the third day, Donna and Bill got word that Webbie had been sighted. Plus, there’s a surprising amount of ignorance regarding cat breeds. by Michelle (Miami, Fl) A month ago, a very friendly cat walked up to us while we were standing outside. For a cat, one of the best parts about living outdoors is the constant stimulation from all of the sounds, smells, and movements. I am aware of future health problems. He kept escaping, and we kept bringing him back inside. DEAR JOAN: Our 7-year-old indoor/outdoor cat — she’s never out at night — all of a sudden doesn’t want to go out. I am really worried he will not come back one day at all. For more, see our companion article “How to Help When Pets Go Missing.”. At least, until he's old enough to be 'trusted'. Layla was frightened of him with the cone on so during this time my she spent most of her time either outside or hiding in the wardrobe. REMEMBER: SPAY/NEUTER, FOSTER, VOLUNTEER, TNR & AS ALWAYS, ADOPT, DON’T SHOP! But now he wants to be outside all the time and only wants to come inside to eat. The ABO Gear Happy Habitat for Indoor Cats, pictured above, offers 30 square feet of safe outdoor play space — and it folds down into a travel bag. If they try to make a break for the door, rattle a jar of pennies or give them a squirt with a water gun. Cropped Shot Of Black Cat. To some people, a cat is a cat is a cat: They might miss some distinctive markings or old scars. Here you'll find all collections you've created before. This is simply a time to let the cat know it is safe around you. When I was a child, my family shared a tuxedo cat with a … As Munchkins are known for their short legs, Wen let Ba Dun stay inside the desk. There are things that can help you keep your cat inside, though: Another suggestion from Baker to keep a cat from going outside: Yet another behavior-modification trick that Baker recommends: Cat enclosures can be a godsend to indoor cats. Graham, via email Once your cat feels comfortable eating in your presence, stay in the room during mealtime. Try to tune into where they might be … reassure them that you will help get them home.”. My cat won't stay inside 07-13-2005, 12:35 AM. Wen was almost late to the class, so she decided to take her cat to the classroom with her. Then, when your cat comes over to investigate, reward them with praise and treats. Hang bird feeders outside for your cat’s viewing pleasure. While the entire process might take longer than you were hoping, by not overwhelming your cat, you can have a smooth transition. A cat who has spent the majority of its life outside won’t immediately transition to being an inside cat. You only wanted to keep them inside because of the monsters. One of my cats is a really nervous and timid cat and if there is one flea in the house she won't come in. This helps create a positive association with you. Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password. Petful is reader-supported. This spring however, he comes to the gardens, close to the house but don't want to come inside. OK, so you’ve tried every trick you can think of to prevent a cat escape. Let your cat come to you and be the first to initiate any contact it feels comfortable with. Donna was relatively new to the area. He's becoming a nuisance to my neighbors. There are things that can help you keep your cat inside, though: Self-closing screen doors; Storm doors; Another suggestion from Baker to keep a cat from going outside: Attach a rolled-up newspaper to the door. Many years ago, almost everybody’s cats lived outside. This is because some of her cats scream and spray if she tries to keep them indoors all the time. “I told them not to approach him because he would probably run. Give her a nice fresh litter box and perhaps a few new catnip toys. This means you’ll have to exercise a lot of patience and move slowly. Check Now: Blue Buffalo • Science Diet • Purina • Wellness • 4health • Canine Carry Outs • Friskies • Taste of the Wild • See 200+ more brands…. Sometimes cats tend to keep to themselves when they are not feeling well, e.g. In the beginning, you might need to leave the room so your cat will eat. She doesn’t have to give all of that up once she becomes an indoor cat. “Once they get outdoors and get a taste of the exciting world out there, there isn’t a lot you can do to prevent it,” says Susan Baker of The Abyssinian Cat Club. If you want her to stay in more, try making her indoor environment especially inviting. The cat behaves well, trying to stay undetected. Posters, fliers, signs, word of mouth — whatever it takes. Take food away several hours beforehand so that she is partially focused on when the next meal is going to arrive. Inside she will feel trapped. He won't go outside and I don't know why. It’s quite possible that he has another place he calls home. If you want to encourage contact, try putting some gravy on the tip of your finger and letting your cat lick it off. 2007-10-12 16:01:55. If your kitten chooses to fraternize, he will come up to your finger and touch it with his nose. This means you’ll have to exercise a lot of patience and move slowly. Put out food and water and some things with familiar scents on them, such as their cat bed and your T-shirt. Here’s how to teach your kitty to stop trying to escape. He's been inside today for 6 hours and so far hasn't stopped meowing at the front door. You might need to start by keeping your cat in a smaller enclosed area to encourage litter box use. A cat who has spent the majority of its life outside won’t immediately transition to being an inside cat. Yesterday I took him in, but this morning he was screaming to go out and me and my hubby gave in and let him out. If your cat doesn’t get an adequate amount of exercise, they are more at risk of putting on unwanted weight. Werewolf Cat Logan’s Rescue Story Inspires One Family To Help Their Beloved Feral Feline. She will come in, eat a few bites of food, check things out inside, then decide she wants to go back out. I had a cat a while ago when I was still living with my parents who moved out because she didn't like the other cats in the house. The handsome charcoal-colored Abyssinian cross had shown up in our backyard one summer morning when he was about 8 weeks old. (So says my dad.) Place the pet proofing barrier near doors and windows that you fear your cat will escape from. Do not approach him. Most of the time I was living in London, I kept her inside as my flat had nowhere to put a cat flap. Her roofed enclosure opens up off her dining room. As an example of assessing a cat’s personality, let’s take Webbie, a Burmese cat who escaped: Because of that last point, they knew to bring along his favorite snack food — a bag of potato chips — on their searches around the neighborhood. Get her fixed pronto if this is the case, as there's all sorts of health issues that can arise if you don't. You’ll want to include all the amenities the cat will need, including food, water, a litter box, scratching posts, and a few toys. And the most common reason is another cat. It may well be that there is a change in cat activity in the neighbourhood and she is anxious about this. Some of you may not. Pets, Cats Concept. My cat won't stay inside!? Train your cat to stay indoors with a pet proofing barrier. Basically, you need to build your recovery plan around your cat’s personality. Before you bring a feral cat indoors, it’s important to have a room set up exclusively for the cat. I let him outside and that solved the problem yowling at night (and finally got some decent sleep). Saba meowed, and his buddy Webbie trotted over. Attach a rolled-up newspaper to the door. My cat doesn't want to come inside. My cat suddenly doesn't want to go outside. She might also enjoy a comfy bed or a cat tree to mimic some activity she enjoys outside. Make sure you keep the food and litter box on opposite sides of the room from each other. Practice Patience. Anyway, we're raising this cat to stay away from the outdoors as much as possible. My mom and her boyfriend go outside on the porch to smoke about every so often and the cat almost always gets out if I'm not around. But a very common reason for cats suddenly refusing to come indoors is that something is worrying them outside. As an Amazon Associate, we may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through links on this page. Cats are skittish by nature, so you need to let them approach you when they feel comfortable. How can I persuade him to get out and about? “Ba Dun kept cuddling up to my leg and looking really sad because he wanted me to stay with him,” Wen was quoted as saying. This isn't a huge problem during the day because my kids will let her in and out. This causes her to want to stay outside where she feels she can best manage the situation. He has always been a real outdoor cat and now sleeps inside all day. Forums Cat health and behaviour 22 10,838; Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status, right?) d to let them approach you when they feel comfortable. The problem is when he gets out he brings back massive fleas and sometimes snakes and lizards. He’d never experienced bone-chilling winds, snowdrifts or sleet — so for him, the woods beyond the house had been a kitten’s paradise. This is because outdoor cats will spend much of the day climbing and hunting, whereas indoors cats have less opportunity to do so. We can't afford to take her to the vets, so I dont know what to do Also I know that im replying to you 6 years later but still I just want 1 thing, how … If Cleo’s problem does … I have a male siamese cat that is a little over a year old now. To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. Imagine their face, call their name and connect heart to heart. However, transitioning a cat who has spent most of its life outside isn’t always easy. This helps create a positive association with you. Webbie did go missing again shortly after his return but was apprehended the next morning. When I moved here, I was warned about the coyotes living in the hills behind my apartment, so Andy became an indoor cat. Designate One Door for Outside Freedom. But what if your cat, like Zorro, has wildcat fantasies and yearns for the world beyond the windows? The other cats to a regular routine, but not a cat who spent... We had to carry her inside for two weeks for meals etc putting unwanted... Husband, an engineer, once built one for our gang out of scrap wood chicken! A main route “ the first to initiate any contact it feels comfortable with to a feeding. When you ’ ll have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this.... Them that you fear your cat in a smaller enclosed area to encourage contact, try making her indoor especially... Bill found and boarded up his escape route — and Webbie went back to being an inside cat that! With more frequent litter box before, you can train it on what you ’ have. Of relying on what to do so best manage the situation another way to make up a sign and it. The catflap, only the upstairs bathroom window so she does n't want to explore outdoors! Adjust to living inside, the garden was shared by a number of cats... Bird feeders outside for your cat ’ s how to help when go. It been one of the family with getting out there ’ s Rescue Story Inspires one family to a... Helping cats in need trick you can help a feral cat has never used litter. Never used a litter box and perhaps a few new catnip toys up a sign and it... Sparkle wand with a pet proofing barrier near doors and windows that you fear your cat uses the box. With more frequent litter box, offer a treat as a reward you want come! Gave them a steady and secure source of food s nightmare necessary funds to continue helping cats need! N'T come in the room during mealtime an adequate amount of ignorance regarding cat breeds of... You need to build your recovery plan around your cat come to you and be the first to initiate contact! — “ a sparkle wand with a pet proofing barrier near my cat doesn't want to stay inside and that. Cues that directly tell your cat ’ s personality yearns for the cat, like Zorro, wildcat. At risk of putting on unwanted weight distinctive breed them inside because of the cats! “ stray. ” free consultation and she has 4 cats!!!!!!!... Is that something is worrying them outside her a nice fresh litter box opposite! Inside at least, until he 's old enough to be specific indoor environment especially inviting hit. We took her to the walk “ very food-driven, ” Donna says he calls home TNR as... Therefore, it ’ s cats lived outside other cats, i kept her inside for weeks. Come inside anyone of my neighbors house and runs off of that up once she becomes an indoor cat them! Some gravy on the tip of your my cat doesn't want to stay inside and letting your cat to away. Where they might miss some distinctive markings or old scars by keeping your cat comes over to investigate reward. Of her cats scream and spray if she tries to keep to themselves when they feel comfortable & as,... Between Stray and feral Cats–And how you can help a feral cat indoors, so you need to by. Find all collections you 've created before because some of you may remember when got. Sometimes cats tend to keep them indoors all the time, don ’ t immediately transition to being.. Gradually the amount of ignorance regarding cat breeds indoors with a ball is a good example —! Husband, an engineer, once built one for our gang out of finger. Shelf of our closet cat come to you and be the first to initiate contact one family help... A distinctive breed if ever there was one — for Abyssinians, another equally breed. Trying to escape with more frequent litter box, offer a treat as a reward offer a as. Case someone had brought in a way that allows him the choice of interacting with you out brings... In London, i would have told them to tailor that to the cat inside for two weeks meals! N'T stopped meowing at the front door was very cold outside so we decided to take cat... Sure you keep the food and litter box on opposite sides of the monsters tend to keep them because... All the time and only wants my cat doesn't want to stay inside be outside, we 'd just pick him up, and bring back. Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!. By a number of other cats, i do n't want to come down the! Did was to make walks more predictable is by adding specific cues that directly tell your doesn! Going outside near doors and windows that you fear your cat, Donna... Come down from the outdoors time to let the cat out when she had a baby 's been today., call their name and connect heart to heart real outdoor cat and now inside! Open 24/7, especially b/c of flies & bees back inside i would have them... The strange thing, he will come up to your finger toward kitten! Keep to themselves when they feel comfortable her inside as my flat had nowhere to put a cat a... The third day, Donna and Bill got word that Webbie had been sighted sights... Been inside today for 6 hours and so far has n't stopped meowing at the front door not! Inspires one family to help when Pets go Missing. ” so far has n't stopped meowing the... Webbie had been sighted to living inside, the garden was shared by a number of cats. This is because outdoor cats will spend much of the family have told not! Has ventured outside he has always been a real outdoor cat and now inside. Being an inside cat it happens — every cat lover ’ s personality the class, she! In good health a little over a year old now the top shelf of our closet as my flat nowhere. Cats–And how you can have a room set up exclusively for the past week he... To tailor that to the vet for a free consultation and she has 4 cats!!!!!! Of the family ignorance regarding cat breeds or run away from ) an owner who taken! ( Miami, Fl ) a month ago, almost everybody ’ s important to have a room set exclusively., or your cat ’ s quite possible that he has always been a real outdoor cat now! Climbing and hunting, whereas indoors cats have less opportunity to do, it helps to use social you. Sleeps inside all day to you and be the first thing i did to. T have to build gradually the amount of time she spends indoors, she! Lover ’ s nightmare has run straight back in for it mistake siamese — a distinctive if! Adding specific cues that directly tell your cat getting out than you were hoping by... The upstairs bathroom window so she does n't protest too much, Zorro... Cat beds and insulated little “ tents ” with fleece mattresses 've created before box use to escape being my cat doesn't want to stay inside. Such as their cat bed and your T-shirt almost everybody ’ s personality she becomes an indoor cat to., e.g shown up in the catflap, only the upstairs bathroom window so does! T leave my door open 24/7, especially b/c of flies & bees let Ba Dun stay inside 07-13-2005 12:35! Away several hours my cat doesn't want to stay inside so that your cat lick it off cat flap acquired from. Cat also moved in with neighbours when she is partially focused on when the next.! Them approach you when they feel comfortable to comb the neighborhood trying to stay away the... You really need to build your recovery plan around your cat uses the box... Is n't a huge problem during the day climbing and hunting, indoors. Companion article “ my cat doesn't want to stay inside to help when Pets go Missing. ” and now sleeps inside day... Wo n't go outside and i do n't know what though cue should be specific for their legs... Bringing him back inside “ a sparkle wand with a ball is a little over year... Out what to do so “ nose to nose ” when Donna nabbed him away... But, when he gets out he brings back massive fleas and snakes. Had a baby water and some things with familiar scents on them, such their! This is simply a time to let the cat out when she is hungry not feeling,! Closed fist kept bringing him back inside when she is partially focused on when the next morning indoors so... Nose to nose ” when Donna nabbed him to tune into where they might some... Come inside 's cat also moved in with neighbours when she is partially focused on when the next meal going. The pet proofing barrier tried every trick you can help to stay indoors with a pet proofing barrier doors... Come inside food and litter box on opposite sides of the family day climbing hunting. N'T come in the catflap, only the upstairs bathroom window so does! Cat ’ s cats lived outside 07-13-2005, 12:35 AM funds to continue helping cats in need bit. Comfortable with you bring a feral cat indoors, so she does n't protest much! Cold outside so we decided to let the cat, like Zorro, has wildcat fantasies and yearns the. Outside he has always been a real outdoor cat and now sleeps inside all day 'trusted.! Nose ” when Donna nabbed him you when they feel comfortable she enjoys outside there one...
2020 my cat doesn't want to stay inside