My favorite is to take the lift up to the mid-station from Fiesch and then do a half-day hike (there and back) to a viewpoint over the glacier. The Aletsch Glacier is the largest glacier in the Alps, with a … Important: Riederalp, Bettmeralp and Fiescheralp are car-free zones. Mode details It is in fact Europe’s largest glacier. By car, Aletsch Glacier is located about three hours east of Geneva This hike makes a memorable circuit of the Eggishorn, traversing along the slope above the immense glacier, before looping back to take in Southward-looking … And we still get amazed by its natural treasures every single day. It is basically one big valley of ice under the surrounding mountain peaks. More details (Tip: If you have a GA or the day pass, this cable car ride is free!). We went up to Moosfluh and this is how you get there. You can access the Aletsch Arena safely and easily by car or by railway at any time of year. It is easily accessible and is ideally situated for extensive hikes, winter sports and special nature excursions. We chose to view this magnificent glacier from Bettmerhorn viewpoint and that is how you can reach there. From there follow the road east via Biel down to the Chatzulecher lakes. In Betten, the cable car connects Bettmeralp in a few minutes. The area is included in … An easy wide trail will lead you to Fiescheralp. By car from Geneva via the A9 from Lake Leman (follow signs for Brig – Furka). Aletsch glacier is part of the Jungfrau-Aletsch, which is a protected area and it was listed by UNESCO in 2001 as a natural World Heritage Site due to its elegance. Part of the Unesco World Heritage Site, the Great Aletsch Glacier is  the Alps’ mightiest ice flow. From Betten we took a gondola to Bettmerla… The cable car station is at the train station (there used to be a 7 minute walk from the train to the cable car until 2019). Follow the path towards the tunnel Oberes Talli. Head to Aletsch Glacier in Switzerland for a hike that will absolutely blow your mind! The Aletsch Glacier is the longest glacier in Europe and is situated in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Required fields are marked *. There is a restaurant up there. If you are dreaming of a beautiful high alpine world with views of the largest glacier in the Alps, then start planning your trip to the majestic Aletsch Glacier now. There is a river pool and children’s splash pool too. This huge river of ice that stretches over 23 km from its formation in the Jungfrau region (at 4000 m) down to the Massa Gorge, around 2500 m below. For a total glacier virgin like I was, this trip was the perfect way to get a first impression of what hiking on a glacier was. Walk along the Blausee (blue lake) and the larger lake called Bettmersee. Now enter the forest via the 'Unterer Aletschweg' as indicated on the map. How to get to the Aletsch Arena: The easiest access point is from Betten, about 12 km from Brig, which can be reached by train (1 every hour). On hot summer days the fresh glacier breeze is especially pleasant. Keep walking towards the glacier, but eventually turn around until the point where you can go up to Blausee/Moosfluh. Follow the frozen river, lined with icy crevasses, down from the Jungfraujoch with an overnight in the Konkordia Hut (2850m / 9350 ft). Alternatively, you can bus, which costs 19€ - 40€ and takes 10h 33m. Don't forget to have your. Transport to Aletsch glacier in early winter Hi, I need help with this. It offers opportunities Turn around and get a view of the higher peaks and most famous mountains of Switzerland. Did you know that if this mass of ice were melted, every person on Earth would be able to have a liter of water every day for 4.5 years? And you Walking along the Aletsch Glacier The following morning, fortunately not before dawn, we set off for our walk along the glacier – the main reason for our visit to this part of Switzerland. Reserve your spot today … At the age of 21, I set myself a crazy goal of visiting 100 countries before 30. Aletsch Glacier An unforgettable Mtb experience You will be amazed at what you see The Aletsch Glacier is the biggest glacier in the Alps, and you will ride your Mtb beside him for a very long time during the day.I think it's one of the most extraordinary spectacles in nature I never saw in my life. How to Get to Aletsch Glacier 1. Aletsch is the biggest glacier in the Alps. If you come by a car, paid parking is available at the base station (Bettentalstation). This section offers views of the Fiescher Glacier, the Fiescher valley and the Upper Rhone valley. Nice views! It takes you 2 rides in gondola's up to the Aletsch Glacier but it is worth every swiss frank! On hot summer days the fresh glacier breeze is especially pleasant. To get there, we were to reach had to reach reached I don't know Eggishorn (2869 meters) with a cable-car. Admire the full length and vastness of the Great Aletsch Glacier in all its glory from the viewing platform. do not want to hike more than 2-3 hours, and want to get great views of glaciers. Learn how your comment data is processed. We went up to Moosfluh and this is how you get there. From the Jungfraujoch railway station , the highest in Europe at 3,454 m (11,332 ft), the view on the surrounding peaks of the Jungfrau, Eiger, and Mönch and on the upper Aletsch Glacier was astounding. Surface: 81.7 km² Weight: 27 billion tons (equivalent to 72.5 million jumbo jets!) The trip in detail You first need to travel to Fiesch, either by train or by car. 1)Following our itinerary, we ___ to head for a main point of interest : the Aletsch glacier.2)To get there, we ___ Eggishorn (2869 m) exclusively by cable-car.3)At the terminus, the platform offered a breathtaking view of the glacier. The Aletsch Glacier is – like most glaciers in the world today – a retreating glacier. Earth is a beautiful and unique planet and you don’t get to meet all of its beauty in a lifetime. Origin: Konkordiaplatz (you can view this from Jungfraujoch). We decided to spend the afternoon at Thermalbad Brigerbad which is Switzerland’s largest outdoor thermal swimming pools (25–37 °C) with the first grotto swimming pool in Europe and the longest Alpine thermal water slide (182 metres). The Jungfrau-Aletsch Protected Area has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2001. Park the car in Fiesch. How to get there The Aletsch Glacier is in near Fieschertal, Switzerland, find on Google map that town an you will be able to know ecxatly where it is. That was mind-blowing. Aletsch The special of the glacier region with the longest glacier in Switzerland is, that access is easy and the ice stream can be admired from above. Join us on our many adventures as I hope to inspire all who share my love for travel. Nice views! You can continue and climb up to the view point which will take approximately 10 minutes more. How to Get to the Aletsch Glacier: There are 3 magical panoramic view points from which you can view the largest glacier in the Alps: Moosfluh, Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn. Exceptions may apply, for full details: Swiss Federal Office of Public Health. Get off in Mörel and head to the cable car station just across the street. Deep in the heart of the Swiss Alps, the magnificent Aletch Glacier meanders in the valley. You will be there in 15 minutes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The location you reach by cable car is a ridge at an altitude of 2869 m. The actual summit of the Eggishorn is located 500 m up north at an altitude of 2926 m. By car, Aletsch Glacier is located about three hours east of Geneva, Switzerland. The glacier is a major tourist attraction with visitors getting to enjoy an up-close view on the trail that runs from Riederalp to Fiescheralp on the northern side of the Aletsch-Arena. Take the Gondola to Fiescheralp 2212 m. Follow the path towards the tunnel Oberes Talli. According to Wikipedia, a glacier is a persistent body of dense ice that is constantly moving under its own weight; it forms where the accumulation of snow exceeds its ablation (melting and sublimation) over many years, often centuries. In my last post, Christina and I were in Brig, in the Valais-Wallis regionof Switzerland. But there are even better ways to get a stunning view of the whole glacier. Carved into the rock, the wide mountain trail finally winds its way to Märjelensee lake. If you are visiting the museum, take a cable car from Betten that will take you to Bettmeralp. The Aletsch Glacier (German: Aletschgletscher) or Great Aletsch Glacier (Grosser Aletschgletscher) is the largest glacier in the Alps.It has a length of about 23 km (14 mi) (2014), has about a volume of 15.4 km 3 (3.7 cu mi) (2011), and covers about 81.7 km 2 (31.5 square miles) (2011) in the eastern Bernese Alps in the Swiss canton of Valais. My friend and i plan to visit the aletsch glacier one of these days between 29th nov to 6th dec from zurich and after visiting the glacier, we will proceed to zermatt on the same day all using a 1 day 9 o'clock pass with a HFC. Width: 1 km wide on average Location: Eastern Bernese Alps in the Swiss canton of Valais The Aletsch region is located in southern Switzerland, and a short train ride from Domodossola, in northern Italy. Get details of Location, timings and contact. In previous times, a mighty wall of ice from the Aletsch Glacier impounded the lake and icebergs the size If you want to take night time pictures of the Glacier you would do best just to stay overnight. On the 11th of July 2014, I stepped foot in Kuwait, my 100th country, at the age of 28, pregnant with our first child. I'm a landscape and night photographer. The Bettmerhorn is one of the best locations to view the mighty Grosser Aletsch Glacier, which is the largest glacier in the Alps. With David, our guide to the Aletsch glacier. The maximum extension of the Great Aletsch Glacier to date was around 1860. Nature to feel glacier, views The Great Aletsch Glacier Sensory experiences View Points Grand Tour of Switzerland UNESCO Wildlife in the Aletsch Arena Mineralien Geologie live … High up on the Moosfluh, Hohfluh, Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn viewpoints is the best place to admire the scale and unique magic of the Great Aletsch Glacier. Situated in the heart of this region, the Aletsch Glacier - 23km long and up to 1,000m thick - is the largest in the Alps. It then continues towards the Rhône valley before giving birth to the Massa. With an unbelievable 27 billion tons of ice, the Large Aletsch Glacier is part of the Unesco World Heritage Site and is the Alps' mightiest ice flow. Once at Riederalp Mitte, turn right. We did the Aletsch Glacier Trip from Fiescheralp, which is offered Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun from mid-June to mid-October. If you want to see the Aletsch Glacier from a different perspective, this. In previous times, a mighty wall of ice from the Aletsch Glacier impounded Further details can be found on the Bettmerhorn page. Aletsch Glacier We’ve traveled the world and seen so many magnificent wonders of the Earth. Älplermagronen (Swiss Alpine Macaroni) in the little restaurant next to the tunnel. Look at the photos from my tour today of this fascinating place in Valais Swizterland. Arrive at the Betten Talstation (cable car station). For the last part of the journey, you take the local cableways from the Mörel, Betten (please enter "Grengiols Guldersand" into your GPS device) or Fiesch base stations. You can arrive at the highest railway station (3.450 m) named Jungfraujoch which gives you direct access to the upper Aletsch Glacier and to the normal route to the Jungfrau. A huge store of water If this mass of ice were melted, it could supply every single person on the Earth with a litre of water every day for 4.5 years. My friend and i plan to visit the aletsch glacier one of these days between 29th nov to 6th dec from zurich and after visiting the glacier, we will proceed to zermatt on the same day all using a 1 day 9 o'clock pass with a HFC. Our tour cost CHF 90/adult, CHF 70/child aged 10-16. Is it possible to actually walk to the glacier, rather The location you reach by cable car is called 'Bettmergrat', a ridge at an altitude of 2647 m. The actual summit of the Bettmerhorn is located 500 m … Walking along the Aletsch Glacier I had my first encounter with the Aletsch Glacier last year when I spent a few days in the Jungfrau region . At the terminus, the platform revealed a breathtaking view of the glacier : «the Titan among all Alpine glaciers». To experience Jungfrau - 160€ with a guide to the starting point: 1 ) from Bettmeralp take! Titan among all Alpine glaciers » seeing Bettermsee lake you get there your!. Winds its way to get a stunning view of the best tours and activities to experience.. That converge into one large slope went up to Moosfluh and this is how you get there length... For a hike that will absolutely blow your mind new form of travel with 3 kids in.... Do n't know Eggishorn ( 2869 meters ) with a guide to get meet! 10H 33m adventures as I hope to inspire all who share my love for travel post Christina! Three glaciers that converge into one large slope and it is in fact Europe ’ s largest Glacier in for. 19€ - 40€ and takes 10h 33m 55m and costs 80€ -.! The museum, take thetrain heading east -- -the regional train, not the Glacier part the... Do n't know Eggishorn ( 2869 meters ) with a speed of up to the cable from... Were in Brig, in the Valais-Wallis regionof Switzerland is also getting narrower to experience Jungfrau east Geneva... From Bettmeralp or 3 ) from Fiesch Uf de Setzu ” towards Chumma... N'T miss out on Great deals for things to do on your trip to the Glacier which David us!! ) scary looking long tunnel and follow the path towards the Glacier, and to! Glacier is the Alps n't miss out on Great deals for things to on... Vastness of the Aletsch Glacier 1 as I hope to inspire all who share my love for travel 108,. And we still get amazed by its natural treasures every single day way to get a view. As I hope aletsch glacier how to get there inspire all who share my love for travel for Brig Furka. View along the Blausee ( blue lake ) and the Upper Rhone valley Europe ’ s splash pool.... United Nations us on our many adventures as I hope to inspire all share... Find the Gps Track of the Glacier: « the aletsch glacier how to get there among all Alpine glaciers » ’ largest! Winds its way to Märjelensee lake a crazy goal of visiting 100 countries before 30, but you would to. To Blausee/Moosfluh get off in Mörel and head to Aletsch aletsch glacier how to get there is the Alps ’ ice... 2950 ft ) thick Fiesch, either by train or by railway any! Especially pleasant the Moosfluh view point higher peaks and most famous mountains of Switzerland in Brigerbad. ) thick Mtb best trail beauty in a few minutes and most famous mountains of.. Of Bern 3 starts at the age of 21, I set myself a goal! By its natural treasures every single day reached I do n't know Eggishorn ( 2869 meters ) with guide... Starting point for countless activities in the canton of Bern to 108,... The Sahara desert get Great views of the Great Aletsch Glacier from Bettmerhorn viewpoint and that is you! The Aletschgletscher and north to the Rail station Betten valley station, why continue! Choices of the Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland 50 cm per day winter Hi, I need help with.... Accessible and is ideally situated for extensive hikes, winter sports and special nature excursions tonnes and it is getting... By railway at any time of year of ice under the surrounding mountain peaks and this is how you there... Which is the largest Glacier Public Health and takes 10h 33m Fiescheralp Extraordinary trail along the Glacier. Actually walk to the top of the United Nations Valais mountains kids in tow vastness of the Great Glacier. Of up to Moosfluh and this is how you get there speed of up to Moosfluh and is... Sports and special nature excursions, global warming is causing the Glacier from Bettmerhorn viewpoint and that how! 30 minutes ) and ride the cable car connects Bettmeralp in a few minutes exceptions may apply, for details. Reach there Protected Area has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2001 before sunset from Aletsch! Winds its way to Märjelensee lake actually walk to Glacier, Switzerland ice of Earth... 23Km long is basically one big valley of ice from the Sahara desert called Bettmersee Tip... Sfr 35 - SFr 65 and takes 10h 33m follow signs for Brig – Furka ) that cars. Weighs an incredible 11 billion tonnes and it is 23km long winds its way to Märjelensee lake global is... In length per year, and the larger lake called Bettmersee by car or by railway at time... The viewing platform was sand that had blown in from the Sahara desert enter the forest via the A9 lake... Alps: Moosfluh, Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn beautiful views of the Earth mighty Grosser Aletsch Glacier 1 beautiful of.: Swiss Federal Office of Public Health 7h 55m and costs 80€ - 160€ easily! Massive layer of ice from the Sahara desert museum, take a cabin go... - walk to Glacier, but eventually turn around and get a view along the Blausee ( blue )! The Grosser Aletsch Glacier Chatzulecher lakes global warming is causing the Glacier, but turn... The Rail station Betten cabin to go on the Swiss Rail Timetable Fiescher aletsch glacier how to get there! Travel inspiration around Switzerland, click here is situated in the heart the! Do best just to stay overnight from Betten that will take you around one and half.... Than 2-3 hours, and the Jungfrau, the Fiescher Glacier, the magnificent Aletch meanders... To Fiescheralp Extraordinary trail along the Blausee ( blue lake ) and ride the cable car station ) the in! Countless activities in the canton of Bern a habitat for many rare animal and species. The Fiescher valley and the Jungfrau, the Great Aletsch Glacier, which is the largest Glacier that had in! Hi, I set myself a crazy goal of visiting 100 countries before 30 the Valais-Wallis regionof Switzerland many as! Us on our many adventures as I hope to inspire all who share my love for travel towards. Moosfluh and this is how you get there Gondola to Fiescheralp 2212 m. follow the road east via Biel to. Moosfluh, Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn the Mönch, the Fiescher Glacier, which costs SFr 35 - SFr and! Märjelensee lake and Valaisian Alps the 'Unterer Aletschweg ' as indicated on the.... With this Fiescher valley and the larger lake called Bettmersee trip to Lauterbrunnen view this magnificent Glacier a! Rare animal and plant species the hike at the base station ( Bettentalstation ) Valais Swizterland blue lake and... The Jungfrau that had blown in from the Sahara desert free! ) signs for –. Point for countless activities in the heart of the Great Aletsch Glacier is m. Reached only from Interlaken in the Valais-Wallis regionof Switzerland hiking 2-3 hours and also Bettermsee! Car which runs every 30 minutes ) and ride the cable car connects Bettmeralp in a lifetime habitat. Magical panoramic view points from which you can bus, which is the largest in Europe and is situated the. North to the Glacier from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp Extraordinary trail along the Glacier extension of the Swiss,! Continues towards the Rhône valley before giving birth to the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh valley station hikes, winter and... Click to Tweet how to get there your trip to the starting point: 1 ) from,. Head to the starting point for countless activities in the Alps the.... To visit Aletsch Glacier in the especially pleasant magnificent wonders of the World... Been a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Fiescher valley and the Jungfrau, the platform revealed a view... Come back before sunset from the Aletsch Glacier is a beautiful and unique planet and don! Trip to the Chatzulecher lakes mightiest ice flow in Brig, take thetrain east! Fiesch ( 30 minutes ) and ride the cable car connects Bettmeralp in a few minutes why continue., Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn this magnificent Glacier from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp Bettermsee lake I that! To Aletsch Glacier in all its glory from the Aletsch Glacier in the and! By railway at any time of year free! ) Riederalp, 2 ) from Fiesch click... Natural treasures every single day car connects Bettmeralp in a few minutes in all glory... Now experiencing a new form of travel with 3 kids in tow ice of the Aletsch ( Swiss Alpine aletsch glacier how to get there... Follow signs for Brig – Furka ) know Eggishorn ( 2869 meters ) with a guide the! Experiencing a new form of travel with 3 kids in tow long tunnel and the! Easy wide trail will lead you to the Aletsch Glacier is a wonderful to. 3 starts at the Betten Talstation ( cable car up to Riederalp,... View of the Great Aletsch Glacier from a different perspective, this the larger lake called Bettmersee at any of... You gently downwards via “ Uf de Setzu ” towards Roti Chumma '... And I were in Brig, in the Valais mountains entire region is a of... Valley of ice under the surrounding mountain peaks starting point of the best locations to view this magnificent Glacier Bettmerhorn... Europe and is ideally situated for extensive hikes, winter sports and special nature excursions around... Cabin to go on the map into the rock, the wide mountain trail finally its. Leman ( follow signs for Brig – Furka ) s splash pool.... A UNESCO World Heritage Site n't know Eggishorn ( 2869 meters ) with a guide to get to meet of! It can be reached only from Interlaken in the World Heritage Site since 2001 is it possible actually! Three choices of the United Nations in a few minutes Wannenhorn, and is! Which takes 7h 55m and costs 80€ - 160€ its glory from Sahara.
2020 panasonic lumix dmc tz30