Hey! . Thank you SO much for posting!! I couldn’t find Tamarind Paste, so I’m going to try using Tamarind Chutney instead, and I cannot wait to get home to start cooking! Stir well and cover leaving to cook on a … In the vegan world most people probably already know about the wonders of jackfruit pulled pork, but I’d like to see it go a little more mainstream. If we ever find it fresh again we’ll use gloves, a cheap knife, and probably some wax paper on the cutting board next time. Add the bbq spice and bbq sauce and mix. . Thanks for a great recipe. I just use Bar B Q sauce any name brand will do ! Congrats keep up the beautiful work! Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. My first introduction to jackfruit was a couple years back when Mike & I had wandered into this tiny little hippy cafe tucked away on the outskirts of our city centre. . Place the drained jackfruit in a slow cooker and turn to high heat. As suggested, I may cut back on the red pepper & cayenne or else cut the heat by adding some slaw to the sandwich…or pickles maybe? Your generosity has made my day. My Pure Luck recreation dinners are only so good without it. It looks SO similar to durian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian but durian smells so bad that it isn’t allowed on public transit! I’m so about to rock your world. Yum! While that’s simmering you can throw some chopped onion in a skillet over medium low and let it caramelize until it’s a nice, dark brown. I am very intrigued. Avoiding the seeds will avoid stickiness around the mouth. You can also add tamarind paste (which, if you made my baked beans from yesterday, you already have out) to make this whole thing super awesome. look it up. Divide evenly amongst your bread or rolls and serve! Vegan, Gluten free if you use GF bread, Low Fat, Refined Sugar Free, Soy Free. it is very tasty!!! I made this recipe last night and it didn’t taste like the pulled pork I’m used to. I am going to try to find jackfruit at my local Asian market and give it a go. When the oil is hot add the chopped onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onion is soft. i’m so happy you tweeted this at me, it looks AMAZING!!!!! I wasn’t a huge fan of baking it because it made it dry but adding some sauce to it made it better. Thanks for a great recipe (and photos)! I think you could, but I haven’t tried it yet. Can’t wait to try it!!! I am so excited about this recipe-the possibilities are endless. In a bowl combine the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, nutmeg, and water. The best vegan/vegetarian sausage I’ve ever had is made by this company called “field roast”. By “neutral flavor” I’m assuming it tastes nothing like a durian. Filed Under: All Gluten Free Recipes, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Fall, Mains, Nut Free, Spring, Summer, Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter Tagged With: bbq, jackfruit, sandwich, Hi, I'm Sarah! I know the jackfruit in the brine tastes tangy and makes you think of vinegar, but that’s a natural reaction of the picking process. Now, to find some. A really fun vegan pulled “pork” sandwich using Jackfruit and prepared in a Carolina BBQ style. It is the messiest thing I have EVER cut, and you may as well be pouring tree sap all over your hands, knives and cutting boards. I know, I know – I can see how it might be hard to believe that fruit could look like, much less taste like, pork. I wonder if my meatlover hubby will know… . Crack open your can of jackfruit and rinse it really well (if you get the kind that’s in brine, it will have a slight … My most missed meat dish from before my vegetarian days was a pulled pork sandwhich. BIG DIFFERENCE. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I’ve eaten the jackfruit for as long as I can remember–but only as a sweet, ripe fruit. This recipe is AMAZING! This is truly ingenious! Take each chunk and cut off the center piece, like so: You should be left with just the stringy bits, which we’re going to coat in our nice dry rub. Although I eat meet but I love vegetable so much. I can’t believe how much it looks like the real deal! I was dancing around the kitchen when I tasted it. You can also find cans of jackfruit in brine in Indian Grocery Stores, since it also grows in India. I made a different BBQ sauce, but it’s the realization that jackfruit (an unprocessed fruit) can be used as a meat substitute that matters. This is just a mixture of various spices that you can combine and then pour all over your jackfruit. I just might have to make a trip to the local Asian market this weekend. It’s spicier than I anticipated yet extremely delicious! 1. If you can manage to get your hands on some, it’s really fun to experiment with. Sadly, I haven’t found a great online resource to buy it – if you google “Jackfruit in brine” you can find a couple of places that sell it, but I would recommend just looking at your local Asian market (if you’re in the Los Angeles area, 99 Ranch has it) and making sure you buy the kind that comes in brine, not syrup. Then just load up some sandwich bread or a roll (I used ciabatta bread, but honestly that was a little too much bread – I’d recommend just regular sandwich slices. You do NOT want to bring home a durian thinking it’ll work for this. I just made this tonight with a few small changes (I turned it into a BBQ taco). I’ve been seeing them more and more stocked in health focused grocery stores and random vegan markets. Let’s just say I actually moved across town to be within walking distance, and they UP and CLOSED 8 months later. YUMMMMMM!!! Fabulous recipe I really thought it was pulled pork! Just add your BBQ sauce ingredients to a sauce pot, mix and simmer for about 10 minutes. I added a bit of liquid smoke that brought it up a notch. Leftovers anyone? Welcome to my little gluten free corner of the internet. Thank you for posting this recipe. In Alaska, we’ve found it at Asian markets, canned in brine. Pure Luck, the restaurant I mentioned above, uses it for pulled pork and for Mexican carnitas (be sure to check out my Jackfruit Caritas recipe) and it’s excellent in both dishes. How interesting that it has a neutral taste/smell when it comes in a can. I’m going to have to hunt down a can. So very interested in trying this savory dish. Simmer jackfruit in sauce for 15-30 minutes until well heated and softened. If you’re not sure where to buy jackfruit – Amazon is always a good bet <
2020 pulled pork jackfruit recipe