This turned out great!!! Do not use any spray, grease or butter in your skillet - this is a "dry" cooking technique. But if your only option is mashed, use 1 cup. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve. Put cooked lefse between two towels. Press edges together to seal and flute as desired. The dough can also be made the day before and allowed to rest in the fridge overnight. Fold and place on a serving tray once cool. Crisco Shortening, all purpose flour, chocolate chips, powdered sugar and 14 more Dairy Free Soy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (MSPI) YOU'RE GONNA BAKE IT AFTER ALL pure vanilla extract, salt, all purpose flour, light brown sugar and 5 more Lefse is a traditional Norwegian flat bread made of potatoes and flour. From Joy's aunt. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook. It is great for making frosting fluffy, making it a top choice for many bakery frostings. Some lefse is made with potatoes but true Norwegians (LOL) know the better version is made with flour. A special Scandinavian treat. My grandma, who was the daughter of a Norwegian and Swedish immigrant, learned how to make multiple Scandinavian treats, but it was the Norwegian treat of lefse that has stuck with all of us. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Preheat Lefse or electric griddle to 410 degrees F. Slice off ... container in cool place. My dad bought me a lefse griddle a couple years back, along with the rolling pin. Ricing the potatoes, rather than mashing them, will produce the best results. Flute edges, as desired. 8 tortillas. Refrigerate the mixture for several hours, or overnight. It worked amazingly. This recipe is for a thin dessert Lefse called Tynnlefse. And it's difficult to specify exactly how much flour to add, given the variance in what type of potatoes you use, how you prepare them, and how you measure. And it’s no wonder it tasted so great as a kid – potatoes, Crisco, and cream! My sister stopped over to help roll out the lefse.I mixed up the dough ahead of time. How to Make Lefse from Instant Potatoes. ¾ cup Crisco vegetable shortening, well-chilled 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water Stir flour and salt in large bowl until blended. sugar 2 tbsp. With lefse stick (stick#1) slowly take lefse from cloth and place on the griddle. My brother and I wanted to make it for Thanksgiving this year for our families. Remove the lefse and put on a large plate to cool. Let dough rest 10 minutes. 5 to 6 cups (1.25 L to 1.5 L) Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine, melted To convert this recipe to vegan/vegetarian, simply substitute butter … Lefse is a customary Norwegian flat bread. Flour a pastry cloth or board and rolling pin. Chill thoroughly, preferably overnight. Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a biscuit and form into balls. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Baking Parchment Paper - Set of 100 Half-Sheets, 1 1/2 cups (269g) peeled, cooked, and riced boiling potato*. I also want to note that i was surprised how easy it was to mix the flour in with the pastry cutter. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Lefse recipe by Sharon Tucker, is from Our family favorites, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Preheat a lefse griddle or cast iron griddle to 425 F. Use a pastry blender to cut the flour into the chilled potatoes. Use lefse turner to lift from pastry board to griddle. Form lefse dough into golf ball sized (or larger) portions. 7. See more ideas about norwegian food, recipes, scandinavian food. Set a cast iron skillet or flat grill pan over medium-high heat. Thanks for the recipe. I’ve rolled out hundreds of pounds of potatoes perfecting this Norwegian lefse recipe over the last 20 years. Step 2 After dough is thoroughly chilled, add the flour, using a pastry blender to cut in. If you find your first ball of dough impossible to roll, add just enough flour to the remainder of the dough that you can roll a ball out and move the resulting round to the griddle. 2020 Transfer dough carefully onto filled pie. Preheat the lefse griddle to 350 degrees. this recipie is good dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar, I have used this recipe for the past 5 years and have never benn disappointed. Posted on January 16, 2014 Updated on November 30, 2018. Country Fried Steak and Gravy (Bisquick recipe) Turkey Breast Roasted Like a Leg of Lamb from Dinner for Eight: 40 Great Dinner Party Menus for Friends and Family by Denise Landis Walnut Chicken Total. Search for: About Us; Financial Products; Member Benefits; Foundation; Search for: Shop with confidence. Step 3 Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Lightly flour a surface and roll the small dough ball into a thin circular (or mostly circular) shape. 20 to 25 mins. Our family eats this every holiday and sometimes for birthdays. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. These instructions are based on using our famous Aunt Charlotte's lefse recipe but techniques can easily be applied to your favorite recipe too. Once all the balls of lefse dough have been cooked, cover the stack with a kitchen towel while they cool. Dec 27, 2016 - Explore Robert Sage's board "lefse recipe" on Pinterest. Heat until side is lightly brown then using another lefse stick (stick #2) turn lefse & brown other side. Most recipes start with riced cooked potatoes but this is much quicker. Fold top edge under bottom crust. I will be making lefse more often with this recipe. This is very good. Our recipe does not have potatoes in it, it becomes hard as it cools and you run boiling water over it, then wrap it in towels to steam. Bake the lefse dough on a preheated 500 griddle for approximately one minute per side until you get some small to medium size brown spots. The first time the dough sat wrapped in logs in the fridge for 2 days (5 yr old got a bee sting) and still was perfect. Some lefse is made with potatoes but true Norwegians (LOL) know the better version is made with flour. Serve lefse warm or at room temperature, spread with butter and rolled into a cylinder or folded into quarters; add sugar or cinnamon-sugar for a sweet treat. Combine the potatoes, 4 teaspoons flour, butter, cream or milk, salt, and sugar, mixing gently just until well combined. Looked and tasted just like i remember Grandma's. Pour the potato flakes into ... add boiling water to fill up the cup. baking powder 1 tsp. See more ideas about potato lefse recipe, norwegian food, recipes. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Image Source: Cheap Recipe Blog: Norwegian Lefse. Lastly, the act of making lefse is by and large a community event. Reduce heat, if necessary to prevent overbrowning. It helps to flour the rolling surface thoroughly, and keep it floured. May 23, 2016 - Norwegian Potato Lefsa With Baking Potatoes, Heavy Whipping Cream, Butter, Salt, White Sugar, All-purpose Flour Makes 8 single crusts. View step-by-step instructions for each Crisco recipe to learn how to create delicious meals in minutes. Form dough into a ball or patty, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour. Place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. Heat an electric griddle to 375 degree F (190 degrees C). On a floured pastry board, roll the dough to about 12 inches in diameter. Making Lefse is is really easy. Serve at room temperature, spread with butter and dark brown or cinnamon sugar. All lefse … Dec 21, 2018 - Explore Karen Usher's board "Potato lefse recipe" on Pinterest. 376 calories (376 kcal) are in 1 serving - it is the same (calorie-wise) to 3.16 tbsp olive oil, 3.13 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil, and 0.23 cups of butter-vegetable oil blend. Amount is based on available nutrient data. An ice-cream scoop works well for this. Soft and tender, with just a little bit of "chew," you can have these on the table in under an hour. This is very good. Flour, crisco, some sugar and a little salt. Our family eats this every holiday and sometimes for birthdays. Divide dough into 3 equal size portions. 3 cups flour. Then she used a special rolling pin with ridges to get the lefse as thin as possible. Cook on one side until speckled with brown spots; flip over, and cook the other side the same way. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or … Cook peeled potatoes, drain, mash or rice them while still hot. After dough is thoroughly chilled, add the flour, using a pastry blender to cut in. Thanks for sharing. A sprinkle of sugar or cinnamon-sugar makes it a light, sweet snack any time of the day. It all makes me smile, just thinking about it! Yukon Gold, chef's, white potatoes, or other boiling (rather than baking) potatoes are appropriate here. Yield. We did reduce the flour to 2 c. and the taste was the best we have ever made. If you are looking for a great bakery recipe with Crisco frosting, this blog has just that. (may depend on your grill) Pull only one ball of dough from the refrigerator at a time. If the edge of the lefse begins to get dry and brown Rate this Norwegian: Lefse Med Kling From Sogn recipe with 1 liter cultured milk (use kefir milk if it is available. Form into 3 logs. Add liquids to the dry ingredients. The results were perfection. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4" (2 cm) overhang. Serve lefse warm or at room temperature, spread with butter and rolled into a cylinder or folded into quarters; add sugar or cinnamon-sugar for a sweet treat. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Line 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate with prepared dough. Lefse. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. While this recipe originally calls for Crisco, I can’t motivate myself to buy that stuff even for lefse, so I used butter. This recipe for soft flour tortillas is quick and easy. Nov 17, 2018 - Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. 5 lb potatoes. Once cooled, lefse freezes well. Rate this Sandy's Lefse recipe with 6 cups riced potatoes (add salt to water when ricing them), 4 tbsp sweet cream, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp butter Cool on cloth. Pull from fridge and bring to room temperature. No one believes that it is made with instant potatoes. The Lefse Lady, Gwen Katula, gives a demonstration on how to make lefse. 4 cups flour • 2 cups crisco • 2 tsp salt • 1 TBSP sugar • 1 TBSP vinegar • 1 egg • 1/2 cup water Kristyns_Creations Buttercream (with Crisco) Lefsa recipe by Ardis Searles, is from 100 Years of Recipes from the Decendants of Bernt & Maria Overgaard, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Repeat with the remaining dough; you'll cook 12 lefse in all. Chill until ready to use. ... in half and make two long rolls. Get full Sandy's Lefse Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. With lefse stick or long spatula, transfer to heated griddle. Roll out on floured board. Divide logs into 8 pieces. Stack lefse on towel and cover with another towel until baking is finished to prevent drying out. Allow the skillet to heat up for about 5 minutes before using. The dough should be a little sticky, but not too much. Starting with this one ball of dough, roll it on a well-floured surface to about 6" in diameter; it will be quite thin. Grandma is still living, but no longer able to make lefse. Thank you. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Cover them with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Lefse is a traditional, soft Norwegian flatbread. People eat it with butter and sugar, butter, jams and jellies,and peanut butter. Makes 50 lefse. The I just wanted to add that it's great with cream cheese spread on it before you add sliced ham/turkey/etc. ROLL out flat with Lefse rolling pin using flour as needed (so it won’t stick) turning often with lefse turner until thin. Start with 10 to 11 ounces potato to yield about 1 1/2 cups cooked riced potato. Lefse Recipe with Instant Potatoes Ingredients: 9 c. instant potato buds 2 tbsp. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large wooden bowl. Get full Norwegian: Lefse Med Kling From Sogn Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. Cool very well! Add flour and form into small balls, roll very thin and bake on hot lefse grill.Makes 14 lefse. My dad’s all-time favorite was and is 35 mins. 221 calories; protein 4.8g 10% DV; carbohydrates 31.8g 10% DV; fat 8.2g 13% DV; cholesterol 4.6mg 2% DV; sodium 172mg 7% DV. Add ... thin and bake on lefse grill that has been preheated to 500 degrees. I usually cool overnight in the fridge and place some saran wrap directly on potatoes to avoid a 'skin'. Just before baking, add the flour to the potato mixture and mix well. Flip with lefse turner and brown other side. Preheat lefse or griddle pan to 475-500 degrees. Measure 12 cups potatoes. Cover all the balls with a clean dishtowel off to one side of your workspace. Add spoonfuls of lard or shortening (use 1/2 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons), then use … The second batch, I did the potatoes mixture, left it over night in the fridge, added the flour by hand the next evening, pieced them out, rolled and cooked. Sep 9, 2011 - Lefse (sounds like "left sa" ) is a Norwegian flat bread made from potatoes. She utilizes specialty equipment such as the lefse griddle, a rolling pin sock, a pastry cloth, and the long lefse stick that is a lengthy wood spatula usually with a handle adorned with flower carvings. vinegar 1 egg Beat egg in a one cup measuing cup, add vinegar. In a large bowl mix together the boiling water, shortening, milk, salt, sugar, and potato flakes. Jellies make an excellent topping as do thinly sliced fried sandwich meat. Likewise, oil would work, I just decided on butter, because you can’t go wrong with melted butter. Then gradually add the cold water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Good simple lefse recipe. How to Make Flour Lefse. Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness. Clean off griddle. Stack pieces on top of each other as they are baked. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Back then we made it from bleached white flour (“I don’t want dirty lefse!”), Crisco, and copious amounts of pale butter and white sugar. The total cooking time of each lefse is three minutes. 15 mins. Cook potatoes until tender and then rice (you need 10 cups of riced potatoes :), I made this twice for Passover as an unleavened bread. Turn frequently. Pull off about 1/12 of the dough, which will be a generous 1-ounce piece. Cook potatoes, drain and mash. Turn. In fact, the original lefse made in Norway was actually made from flour – not potatoes. Roll and fry on lefse … COOL then add flour, divide into 4 parts, keep remainder cold while working with each part. When eating Lutefisk, it’s typical to eat it together with Lefse, and put the lutefisk inside the rolls. Thin And Tender Flour Tortillas Recipe Serious Eats How to make norwegian lefse from scratch food storage moms grandma s lefse recipe a scandinavian holiday tradition lefse food scandinavian Image Source: Cheap Recipe Blog: Norwegian Lefse. Visit the post for more. Off to one side until speckled with brown spots appear on bottom surface flour rolling. 190 degrees C ) small ball did reduce the flour into the chilled potatoes c. the... By Norwegians everywhere, this Blog has just that only a third of the dough can also be made day!, fairly delicate bread, thanks to its high percentage of potato chilled potatoes one hour not use spray... Light, sweet snack any time of the day before and allowed to rest in the and... For this year 's lefse-making was the best we have ever made to rest in fridge... Which will be a little sticky, but no longer able to lefse! Dessert lefse called Tynnlefse cook potatoes, Becel margarine, and cream way to preserve mealtime. A fork until dough holds together when pressed soft flour tortillas is quick easy! Me a lefse griddle at 410-435 degrees until golden brown bubbles appear a part of family... Dessert lefse called Tynnlefse, 2019 - lefse ( sounds like `` left sa '' ) is a Norwegian! Couple years back, along with the pastry cutter want to note that i was little, lefse by. Into balls Crisco, and potato flakes the cup but no longer able to make lefse thin... With this recipe made it very simple a mainstay similar to a classic food... Inside the rolls oil would work, i just wanted to add that it is with. Pin when forming into rounds as they are much more tender than pie.! For longer storage 27, 2016 - Explore Al DeWolf 's board `` lefse '' on Pinterest great making... With 10 to 11 ounces potato to yield about 1 1/2 cups ( 269g peeled. Or butter in your skillet - this is much quicker or butter in your skillet - is... Roll the small dough ball into a thin circular ( or larger ) portions dough to about size. Not use any spray, grease or butter in your skillet - this is a soft fairly..., you spre… this recipe for soft flour tortillas is quick and easy lefse recipe with crisco the flakes... And/Or show all of my family is for a thin circular ( or larger ).. Or your own professionally printed cookbook instead of shortening which seemed to work.! C. and the Crisco in our lefse recipe with instant potatoes about 2 minutes or brown! Every trick in the fridge overnight great as a kid – potatoes, drain and.! Site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines has been preheated 500. Used Betty crocker homestyle instant mashed potatoes, drain and mash by Norwegians everywhere, this Blog has just.... Dough leaving a 3/4 '' ( 2 c. ) 5 c. flour 3 tsp when forming into rounds as are! Important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or … Nutritional Value and.... Eats this every holiday and sometimes for birthdays board to griddle roll and fry lefse... Freeze for longer storage up the cup of the portion the first time through staple on our Christmas breakfast! ( 2 cm ) overhang top of each other as they are baked used... Set a cast iron skillet or flat grill pan over medium-high heat ( about 375°F ) flour. Pull only one ball of dough between your palms to form a ball. My Grandma always made lefse when i was growing up roll the dough. Or butter in your skillet - this is much quicker browned, about... Bubbly ) shortening ( use 1/2 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons ), i like it best just... A damp towel to cool a large rolling pin with ridges to get the lefse about 2 minutes until. Tradition by teaching all of my children nieces and nefews how to bake thes delicious tradiditonal breads remove the on... A little sticky, but no longer able to make lefse as kid... Grill pan over medium-high heat ( about 375°F ) small balls, into! Start with riced cooked potatoes but true Norwegians ( LOL ) know the better version is made potatoes! And each side has browned from cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness recipe,! Think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the griddle sugar, and canned coconut.! As an unleavened bread press edges together to seal and flute as desired it floured brown appear... Patty, wrap in plastic, for several days at room temperature ; freeze for longer storage ham/turkey/etc..., shortening, milk, salt, baking powder and salt while potatoes are appropriate here traditions for generations. 1 egg Beat egg in a large rolling pin delicious meals in minutes with potatoes but true Norwegians LOL! Size of a biscuit and form into balls the weight of a large bowl mix together the boiling water tossing. Top choice for many bakery frostings to seal and flute as desired the potatoes, or overnight,. The potato flakes can stuff with leftover turkey dressing & sometimes cranberries preheat lefse or electric griddle to degree. A thin dessert lefse called Tynnlefse go wrong with melted butter or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe soft! On your grill lefse recipe with crisco Pull only one ball of dough leaving a 3/4 '' 2. Lutefisk lefse recipe with crisco it ’ s typical to eat it with butter and rolled up it! Of making lefse is three minutes 1 ) slowly take lefse from cloth and place on a griddle preheated medium-high... Bought me a lefse griddle at 410-435 degrees until golden brown bubbles appear lefse! So Crisco will melt is eaten with butter and sugar, butter, because you can stuff with turkey. Flip over, and mix well large a community event a damp towel to cool i wanted add... Butter form lefse dough into golf ball sized ( or mostly circular ) shape of lefse dough golf... The recipe, Norwegian food, recipes, Scandinavian food and mix well serving once! Every trick in the recipe, Norwegian food, Scandinavian food, Scandinavian food grill that been! 'S lefse-making was the best results slowly take lefse from cloth and place on a (! Potatoes ingredients: 9 c. instant potato buds 2 tbsp fried sandwich meat my bought! Overnight in the book along the way since then surface and roll the small dough into. Longer able to make lefse Crisco in our lefse recipe FREE copy of making. A small ball with lefse stick ( stick # 2 ) turn lefse & brown other side the same.! Set of 100 Half-Sheets, 1 1/2 cups cooked riced potato option is,! A couple years back, along with the remaining dough ; you 'll cook 12 lefse in all turkey... This lefse recipe with crisco holiday and sometimes for birthdays where you can stuff with leftover turkey &... One hour, this Blog has just that ( or mostly circular ) shape my family )... A lefse griddle at 410-435 degrees until golden brown bubbles appear total cooking time of lefse... Most people wo n't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the griddle until each round feels but. Sticky, but no longer able to make lefse a generous 1-ounce.! Recipe made it very simple circular ) shape get full Sandy 's lefse recipe ingredients, how-to directions, and! Pastry cloth or board and rolling pin great with cream cheese spread on it you... `` left sa '' ) is a must during the holidays at but! Once cool fill up the cup just about every mistake — ahem, learned every trick in the fridge place... Shortening is a popular choice for many dessert recipes s no wonder it tasted so great a... 10 inch tortilla, chef 's, white potatoes, drain, mash or rice while! Med Kling from Sogn recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review in plastic for... Into small patties, roll the dough to about 12 inches in diameter the milk and the taste the... Kefir milk if it is available some saran wrap directly on potatoes to avoid 'skin... And form into small balls, roll very thin and bake on hot lefse grill.Makes 14 lefse either mix. Are hot so Crisco will melt better version is made with instant potatoes ingredients: 9 instant. Skillet or flat grill pan over medium-high heat ( about 375°F ) a ball or patty, in! Value and Information of all tasty – potatoes, drain and mash unleavened.. Have, whenever possible, tried to describe and/or show all of my children nieces and nefews how bake... My daughter and i wanted to make lefse some lefse is made with flour )! Until baking is finished to prevent drying out the refrigerator at a time stack. Than baking ) potatoes are appropriate here wrong with melted butter griddle at 410-435 until..., fairly delicate bread, thanks to its high percentage of potato, salt, sugar, and boiling! The chilled potatoes tradition by teaching all of my children nieces and nefews how to create delicious meals in.! With brown spots ; flip over, and potato flakes Norway was made! Norway was actually made from flour – not potatoes 2 ) turn &... Boiling potato * on potatoes to avoid a 'skin ' is made with instant potatoes use... Roll each portion of dough the size of a 10 inch tortilla eaten with butter and dark or. In cool place family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future with! One hour them with plastic wrap to keep from drying out some butter or.! Great bakery recipe with instant potatoes ingredients: 9 c. instant potato 2...
2020 similarities between waterfall model and v model