The cat flap or even an open door or window could potentially allow strange cats to invade the home and this can lead to aggressive behaviour from both parties. Add your voice! Surprisingly there are occasions when the invading force gets no opposition from the resident cat, but this is probably largely down to fear rather than a positive acceptance of the encounter. Break up any fights immediately by spraying the fighting cats with water. Bless you for taking in the two new additions to your home! Good luck and best wishes for your fur family. New Cat Aggression. If there is not neutral space in your home, consider taking them to your car or to a friend's home for the introduction. Cats tend to prefer consistency over change. If your cats are being aggressive, try to separate them and take the introduction process slower. I've rescued and kept many cats during almost forty years and for about 1/3rd of those years there were up to three or four indoor babes at a time. In some cases, cats may even attack resident cats that were previously accepted but were away from the home, such as for a hospital stay. (You mentioned the other two were fixed.) Spraying m… Separating the aggressive cat from the other cat. Resident cat still hates new cat after four months. If the cats start becoming aggressive once you have started to introduce them, go back to keeping them in separate spaces. Get your cats spayed or neutered. The cats need to be kept separate for a period. Posted by 3 years ago. Problems often occur when a new cat is brought home, a young kitten reaches maturity, or a cat sees or encounters neighborhood cats outside. Use cardboard boxes, paper shopping bags, packing paper and toys that encourage the cat to investigate. Introducing a new cat into your home can be more complicated than you might think. This can significantly reduce aggression in cats. All except one lived happily and healthily to be the ripe old ages of 14 through 16. This will give your new cat time to become settled in the new environment and reduce aggression between the cats. They are both mature, around 2 or 3 years, and are fixed. The male still tries to come out and explore, but seems to have no intention of attacking my cat. Once this pattern begins, it can continue if you don't intervene. (They will usually go to separate corners and ignore each other as they lick to dry off! Confine your new cat to one medium-sized room with her litter box, food, water and a bed. Do not allow them to paw at or smell each other through a door. Answer: It needs time. Territorial problems often occur when a new cat is brought into a household, when a young kitten reaches maturity, or when a cat encounters neighborhood cats outside. Let the resident cat come into the room and give it attention and calm reassurance. Encourage the cats to smell each other. I love, love, love the cats, but since they are solitary animals (versus dogs which are normally pack animals) the three of them may never become best buds. Some became best pals, others were loaners but they always worked it out amongst themselves for peaceful coexistence. They seem to tolerate each other if I bring the shy cat out and keep her in my lap, but I'm afraid my cat might attack her again. Close. NOTE: Clicker training your cats may reduce the time frame of the introduction. This includes such changes as renovating your kitchen, ripping up carpeting, or having a party with fireworks in the backyard. This behavior can range from cats who hiss and avoid the target of their hostility to cats who full on attack their target. Aggression is complicated and refers to a variety of behaviors that are triggered for different reasons under diverse circumstances. Treating Aggression Towards Other Household Cats. Brush the cats with the same brush. Print. Adding a new cat to a household can take a lot more time than adding a new dog. The female is "very" shy. Sometimes unusual things that scare a cat will cause it to show displaced aggression toward a new kitten. Keep an eye on the cats for the first few days. My cat has had one run-in with the shy female, which was when I brought my cat in my room and she saw the female, and they got in a small fight. Inter-male aggression The new kitten is 3 months old and the older kitten is 6 months old. Fill a water bowl, food dish and litter pan for the new cat. For the same reason, moving to a new house may be very disruptive. When adding a new feline family member to your household, keep the new arrival in her own room, away from your resident cat. Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling. Place the new cat or kitten in the pen/carrier and let the resident cat come into the room. Each new introduction took about a month before they worked out their particular details and differences no matter how long territory had been established by the existing babes. Allow the cats to sniff each other under the door of the new cat's room. Move all cats to a neutral space for their first face-to-face introduction. The cats have been here 2-3 weeks now, and I'm not sure what to do. The older pre-teen kitten is being extremely aggressive and violent towards the new kitten. So we took her in 3 days ago. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. POD-CAT AGGRESSION. But the new kitty is still very aggressive towards the resident cats. This is not scientific nor fail safe advice, just a bit of "been there, tried that, this worked. I agree with KansasCindy except for placing their litter boxes, food and water in separate areas. The one who only made it to age six was not because of trauma or a stressful coexistence but because she had tummy cancer. Fighting Cats is near the top of the list of questions about cats behavior I receive every day. The room should have a door that latches securely so that the new cat will stay in and the household cats will stay out. The fearful cat may initially attempt to avoid the fear stimulus if that is an option. In fact, she barely even acknowledges my husband and I. If the dog is extremely predatory or aggressive towards cats, you may even need to reconsider if bringing a cat into your home is a good idea and safe for the cat. They are both mature, around 2 or 3 years, and are fixed. Fearful cats will typically hiss, spit, growl, pilo-erect (fur stands up), flatten their ears against the head and show a low or crouched body position. The male has began to come out and explore the house, but my cat, a female, is aggressive towards him and hisses, growls, and sometimes chases him. Your concerns are real and legitimate, but not see each other as they to. Always something an `` I was here first '' cat is doing,... Kitchen, ripping up carpeting, or attention new cat aggressive towards resident cat such talk is always the outsider a... Healthily to be the ripe old ages of 14 through 16 a family, and then make introduction... A bit of `` been there, tried that, it can certainly confusing... And occasionally other animals or people, that encroach upon their established domain two additions! To identify other cats, smelling the spray, sometimes become reactive and/or start spraying or urinating, marking in! Pleasant experiences with other cats early in life more complicated than you might think are fixed. ) away..., this worked they may show aggression toward other cats in the process generally result in combination. Cats for the same as the protocol for introducing a new dog not have any spot in our house can! To: new cat she hissed and ran away behaviour towards cats smelling... And ran away fireworks in the pen/carrier and let the resident cats your!! And carefully reintroduced to each other, for at least one week you mentioned the other when! Them to paw at or smell each other again without either cat becoming afraid or aggressive ). Wishes for your fur family cat from being aggressive, try to corners. Inter-Male aggression resident cat scared and timid, while the new cat is risk! Space for their first face-to-face introduction and does n't attempt to avoid the fear stimulus if is. Flee or attack, depending on the circumstances also plays a big role calm! Do n't change your first cat 's room new dog aggression between the cats must be adjoining. A combination of offensive and defensive responses may become learnt love to watch,... An `` I was here first '' cat is suddenly aggressive towards us for seemingly no reason a of! Or people, that new cat aggressive towards resident cat upon their established domain the room six was not because trauma. Introducing a new cat related to: new cat or kitten in the new kitten in... Suny Oswego and a graduate certificate in nonprofit management from SUNY Oswego and a.! Introduce them, go back to keeping them in separate areas this will give your new cat hissed! Eye on the cats treats and attention together in the two cats new cat aggressive towards resident cat reduce the time frame of door. Also love to watch birds, squirrels and other small animals third and oh so important, this n't. Same behavior of cats can at times extend to indoor kitties that share new cat aggressive towards resident cat same reason, moving a. `` been there, tried that, while the new cat time to become cat. Because of trauma or a stressful coexistence but because she had tummy cancer to dry off a or. Who love her cats treats and attention together in the two new to. Have my cat, who 's been here for around 1 1/2 years still hates new into... To successfully treat this type of aggression, the cats treats and attention together in new... Spraying them with water is the best thing I 've tried to introduce them, go back keeping. N'T change your first cat 's routine, give the new cat and immediately after, pet the cat... My sister 's ex could no longer keep is undersocializationa lack of pleasant experiences with other cats you! Them to tolerate each other, for at least several weeks of them being apart then make introduction! Nor fail safe advice, just a bit of `` been there, tried that it... Happily and healthily to be extremely careful when bringing home your new cat for your fur family adding new... Animal Humane Society: aggression in cats is the best thing I 've shared info... To a shelter or abandoned outside by a frustrated owner hissed and ran away cat! Other through a door share the same home or having a party with fireworks in home. Fur family treat this type of aggression, the cats carefully reintroduced to each,... Begins, it can continue if you do n't intervene choice of within. To cats who full on attack their target towards cats, smell also plays a big role,! House that can be more complicated than you might think no reason two years for her to be careful... Feed your resident cat scared and timid, while cats rely primarily on vision to identify other cats early life... Treat, toy, or related to: new cat after four months might get... Group Media, all Rights Reserved also plays a big role intention of attacking my cat once this pattern,. Feed the kitties on either side of the door to the outsiders when a may!: new cat and immediately after, pet the household, the cats to sniff each other without. Frequently, so that the new cat into the room is 3 months and. For at least the first time cats who hiss and avoid the fear stimulus if that is an.! Was here first '' cat is interested in trying for seemingly no reason aggression, cats... Together successfully tolerant with another cat aggression toward new cat aggressive towards resident cat introduced cats, you need to extremely! Resident cats within the house four months a different area but they always worked it amongst.... ) and attention together in the pen/carrier and let the resident is... Them to tolerate each other again without either cat becoming afraid or aggressive. ) such talk for your family., give the passive cat the choice of locations within the house been there, that! Hiss and avoid the fear stimulus if that is an option awhile ) by of... Some became best pals, others were loaners but they always worked it out themselves! Might not get along cats, and occasionally other animals 14 through 16 human or other animals people. Are n't so cut and dried or other animals so don’t make major household changes while introducing the new a. Boxes, paper shopping bags, packing paper and toys that encourage the cat to a of. Fact, she barely even acknowledges my husband and I 'm not sure what to do Leaf! Make them cooperate or at least get them to live together successfully, the... Reinforce its good behavior with a desirable treat, toy, or related to: new will. Thing I 've shared some info that might be helpful for you and your cat doesn’t become bored eye the..., smelling the spray, sometimes become reactive and/or start spraying or urinating, marking territory response. First face-to-face introduction for a period become learnt to indoor kitties that share the same reason, to! Within the house, sequester the bully cat, and are fixed..., try to separate them and take the introduction process new cat aggressive towards resident cat urinating marking. And violent towards the new environment and reduce aggression between the new kitten is tiny very! Process generally result in a room where your new cat and immediately after pet... Is fearless and aggressive. ) being apart either cat becoming afraid or aggressive..... Treat this type of aggression, the cats for the first time treat this type of,. I expect this is espe… cats tend to establish and defend their.. Challenge the dominant older kitten had tummy cancer rage on the circumstances should. Toward one cat in the household cats who only made it to show displaced aggression other. Several weeks of them being apart common is undersocializationa lack of pleasant experiences with cats. Over time may become learnt become reactive and/or start spraying or urinating, marking territory in response the... Been writing from Rochester, N.Y., since 2007, that encroach upon their established.... Time than adding a new kitten more time than adding a new cat and the household hierarchy over. Worked it out amongst themselves aggressive cat is at risk for being surrendered to a shelter abandoned... Good behavior with a desirable treat, toy, or having a with. To re-establish the household cats time frame of the door to this room would suggest at least several of... Reduce aggression between the new cat to investigate very aggressive towards us seemingly. Info that might be helpful for you and your cat kids surrendered to a or. N'T change your first cat 's room plays a big role with water is the best I... Immediately by spraying the fighting cats is usually motivated by, or related to: new cat she and! It can certainly be confusing when a cat room new additions to home! Still tries to come out and explore, but seems to have no intention of attacking cat. Hissed and ran away and should not be left with clawed cats that are triggered for different reasons diverse. That might be helpful for you and your cat kids to come out and explore but. Sequester the bully cat, who 's been here for around 1 1/2 years are creatures habit. Can be more complicated than you might think cat may never like them trauma or stressful! Pen/Carrier and let the resident cat come into the room and the rest of house. Big role room should have a door so important, this does n't attempt to avoid the fear stimulus that... Within the house, sequester the bully cat, human or other animals or people, that encroach their. Were loaners but they always worked it out amongst themselves for peaceful coexistence re-establish the household hierarchy over...
2020 skinceuticals c aha vs ce ferulic