Wilson is a company with a rich heritage, not to mention an impressive list of players who endorse them, but in regard to quality control for us mere mortals I think they’re negligent. When you do this, that racket head speed is converted nicely into a blend of power and spin that gets the ball kicking off the court and making your opponent play difficult shots. The 98S turns traditional string patterns on their heads by offering an 18 x 16 pattern that they call the Spin Effect. The Wilson Blade 98 V7 is the latest update to one of the most recognizable rackets out there. Yes, synthetic grips are generally a bit lighter, but not much. As someone who produces a ton of spin and has more problems flattening the ball out this was never going to be the perfect racket for me, but I did enjoy the easy playability of this stick. I really felt a strong connection to the ball with this racquet. Hi. Due to the new FeelFlex tech from Wilson (similar to FreeFlex from the Clash series), this racquet has a pocketing sensation reminiscent of some true racquet classics and is a lot more responsive than the muted Countervail version. Not sure why they didn’t just keep the more head heavy swing weight of the last Blade?? If you’re someone who wants to add spin, then this stick has a great blend for the return and we gave it a 7.5 out of 10. This version of the iconic Wilson Blade 98 has Wilson’s 18 x 16 … I don’t think it is the balance of the racquet, but the softer layup that might make it feel less stable to some. The v7 plays a little crisp but maintains a comfortable feel. / J, Hello. $218.99 - $264.43. I’ve since discovered that this is probably down to quality control. your perception when compared to the Tecnifibre 305? The new Blade 98 (16x19) v7, Wilson has taken the Blade line back to its crisp, clean and precise feel. The newest iteration of the Blade stands … This stick’s nice and easy to get moving, and it gives you plenty of pop to put your opponents under pressure. by thetennisbros | Jul 1, 2020 | Wilson Rackets | 0 comments. They’ve got that combination of control and speed that means you can play the ball out in front and really guide the ball back exactly where you want it. The other great thing is that the extra spin potential really helps you generate your topspin and slice on the second serve which is vital. When we took this stick out for a little doubles practice, we found it offered easy depth and was quick to get into position, which helped in quickfire exchanges. The Clash 98 offers even more flex than the Blade 98, so if you prefer a crisper feel, go with the Blade. You’ve just got to focus on swinging through with plenty of racket head speed, and the blend of control and spin does the rest for you. Thank you. My Babolat was v.close to the listed specs, but the Blade is about 5 grams more heavy than it should be, which means I struggle to time the ball when I’m being rushed. Wilson Blade 98 V7 Racquet Review – Summary. The playtesters' reactions were mixed when it came to returning serves with the Blade 98 16x19 v7… Proprietary carbon mapping strategically placed throughout the frame provides additional stability and flexibility through the swing. Could I expect the 16×19 to be around 2g less head heavy given the less strings, or do they weight up the 16×19 unstrung? Do you plan to test the 98s V7 ? The Wilson Blade 98S is a spin-oriented twist on the Blade 98 that should be a spin lover’s dream! Wilson … For players who want a racket that’s easy to play with and has a focus on spin, whilst still having a decent amount of control, this racket is well worth taking a look at. Is the 16*19 still your pattern of choice for the Blades? Wilson removed the Countervail … Hi Alex, Tech has not changed that much in racquets, buy the one that feels best to you. $219.00. Wilson updates one of their most spin-friendly rackets with an elegant tri-color cosmetic and better feel! I like the new version as it has a balance of control and power. So I am considering whether the 16×19 version would be slightly less head-heavy once strung given that there are about 8% less strings (3 runs in a total of 36). As we expected, the Wilson Blade 98s V7 was very strong from the back of the court, and for players looking to add controlled spin to their game, it’s well worth trying out. Well, with the Wilson Blade 98s V7, you certainly have the ability to do this. You’ve seen our comparison article showing it against the Clash 98, but now we’re getting into it.. With such a spin focused setup, it’s from the back of the court where this racket is most comfortable. We took the Wilson Blade 98s V7 out with Wilson Revolve strung at 50lbs and it was a nice little combination. It’s a great racket and another option in the Wilson lineup. I played with the 2015 version of the Blade 16 x 19 and purchased the v7 Blade 16 x 19. Hi Tij, Possibly at some point, I have had an issue getting new racquets to review during the Corona situation so we will see what happens. To further make the 16×19 head-light (without altering the total weight), could you advise as to whether synthetic strings like NXT are lighter than poly on average. With this very impressive update, the Blade 98 18x20 continues to be an obvious choice for experienced players who want the surgical control of a classic … Wilson's Blade 98 16x19 v7 Tennis Racquet represents a bold new direction for the Blade franchise. The Wilson blade v7 18×20 came in handier because you were able to flatten out the ball easier and because of the swing weight, it had a lot more ability to plow through the ball, resulting in better penetrating shots for free power, I would give the edge to the Wilson blade v7 … This stick is certainly for players who want to add a bit of extra shape and spin to their shots, and if you get it right with this racket you can hit a very heavy ball. At 295g unstrung, it’s a little bit lighter than the regular Blade, which gives it a bit more manoeuvrability and really encourages you to generate more racket head speed. Wilson Blade Team Tennis Racket 4.6 out of 5 stars 145. This allows you to get a great flight path on the ball even from the short backswing you use on the returns, and put your opponent under a little extra pressure. There was nothing of significance that stood out to me." Think Rafa type forehands – sorry Babolat, I shouldn’t be mentioning your pin-up boy in a Wilson article. Wilson has removed Countervail from the Blade and replaced it with FeelFlex technology. Updating the iconic Blade line for its seventh iteration, Wilson re-engineered the Blade 98 18x20 v7 for 2019 to offer players ample plow through, control and precision. I think newer version has little less power and more control than the 2015 version. He critiqued, "For me, the Blade 98 16x19 v7 was pretty average in all areas: spin, power and control. It had the potential to be way too spin focussed, but true to the Blade series, it does have that element of control, which we feel is important. I am still not sure if it is my favorite Blade, both the kBlade and the 2015 Blade offer more power and stability. I like to flatten out my shots and the 18×20 Blades have always reminded me of more traditional frames with a modern feel. I want to make a switch to Wilson but I haven’t any experience with Wilson rackets before. Thanks! 1 product rating - Wilson Blade 98 (16x19) V7 Tennis Racquet Racket TNS Frame Unisex (Grip 4 3/8") It completely depends on your style. I’m looking for power yet keep the racket playable. Well, with the Wilson Blade 98s V7, you certainly have the ability to do this. With the easy access to spin, I felt really confident in my serve, particularly the second serve and this really helped me to hold on those tight service games. But I’d like to note how it is super nice and controlled when doing a flatter shot with the Blade, compared to the Pure Aero :p Sorry for the long comment, and I hope to hear back from you. The new Wilson Blade 98 V7 16×19 is the real deal. I wonder if you’ve any recommendation for hybrid tension in this racket? The technology in the rackets is very impressive, and it leads to a good blend of performance and comfort. (For other Tennisnerd affiliates check here). Anyway, we’ve established what the Blade 98s is all about, so what were our thoughts on it? I have tested every Wilson Blade since the nBlade version and it has always been one of my favorite racquet lines on the market thanks to its close-to-perfect blend of abilities. If you like to hit with spin from the baseline but prefer a smaller head size than 100 sq inches (for improved maneuverability for example), I think the Clash 98 is a natural choice. Wilson Grommets Price Available Order; Wilson Blade 100L (16x19) V7 Grommet 2019: $6.99: 2: Wilson Blade 104 (16x19) V7 Grommet 2019: $6.99: 7: Wilson Blade 98 (16x19) V7 Grommet 2019 Wilson Racquets Preview: Blade Pro, Blade 102 SW,... Making the Switch – with Daniel Rutkowski, Wilson Six One 95 nCode Classic Racquet Review. It brings some new FeelFlex technology to the Blade which should make this racket even more comfortable than its predecessors whilst improving the feel. Top Three Racquets for Intermediate Players, Check out the Wilson Blade 98 V7 on the official Wilson website. Thanks. Another strong score of 8 out of 10 on serve for the Wilson Blade 98S V7. When you’re playing against a flat second serve and you know exactly what it’s going to do it’s easy to be aggressive, but when you know it’s going to move in the air and kick off the court that’s much harder to do. Used to play with the 2015 Blade in 18×20 but had to switch to a lighter racket because of injury. Hi Christian, Since quality control makes it difficult to know exactly how much the racquet will weight (balance and swing weight are also relative unknows), I don’t think you should count on the strings to make much of a difference. With the 2019 update to the Blade 98 (16x19), Wilson doubles down on the outstanding feel for which the Blade series is known. Thank you Tij. Hi Jonas, I am looking closely at the Blade 98 following a demo of the 18×20 version which I really liked. Again, for me I had more difficulties when I wanted to flatten the ball out, which sometimes is the case on second serves. I offer a consultation service if you need more in-depth help. Wilson Blade 98 v7 Tennis Racquet: Weighing in at 11.4 oz, the Wilson Blade 98 v7 certainly packs a punch. When I tried to step in on the second serve and take time away from my opponent with a flatter shot I didn’t have quite the control I wanted, but that’s more due to the fact that I naturally put a lot of topspin on the ball. $119.99 - $128.70. Buy the Wilson Blade 98 V7 on Amazon. The PS 97 without Countervail is better than the newer ones in my opinion, but I would probably still for the Blade myself. The new Wilson Blade 98 V7 is an improvement to me over the Countervail version. I tried the new Blade V7 and, in my opinion, it just doesn’t have the same plow through or stability as the previous CV Blade. The added spin you get is what allows you to control the ball, giving a good margin over the net whilst still hitting aggressive shots. If you like to slice and dice, play creatively and value control and feel over power and spin – this Blade could be your new best friend. Tough choice! If you buy a racquet from our friends at All Things Tennis, you will get 5% off and a free string upgrade if you use the code: TENNISNERD at checkout. Click Here To Get The Wilson Blade 98S V7 For The Best Price From RacquetGuys! Thanks. Thanks! Thanks a lot. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you’ll follow me down analogy lane for just a moment, the Clash 98 can be incredibly precise … Your email address will not be published. The extra spin gives you more margin for error and importantly, gives your opponent something extra to deal with. My plan is to use light strings and a heavy grip to move about 5-10g towards the handle without altering the total weight (305 unstrung, around 320 strung), which I find ok for my game. The Tec feels a bit more stable, but the Wilson offers a bit better feel and touch. It's called the Blade 98S 18x16 and it features the same elastic paint finish originally launched with Federer's Pro Staff RF97 Autograph.Although the 98S … Especially low short balls on artificial grass courts are often challlenging with the dense 18×20 string pattern of the UT. The new Wilson Blade V7 does not only come in 98 sq inch head size, but there are a number of different racquets released on August 15. I do appreciate both of them, but I would be very pleased to read your comment about them: is it worthy to buy a racket which has released 4 years ago or better to move to new technology choosing the Blade? I was using the Babolat Pure Strike 98 16×19 but, due to arm issues, decided to switch to a more flexible racket with the same specs. The Wilson Blade is one of the bestselling racquet lines of all time. After playing with it for a while I realised that the Blade was more head heavy and, consequently, had a higher swing weight. The Blade V7 takes another step in the direction of old-school racquets when it comes to the flexible feel. Thanks for any advice. So I’ve recently just tried the Wilson Blade 18×20 CV and really liked it, even though I’ve seen reviews of how CV was quite a stepback from the 2015. Wilson Blade 98 18x20 v7. Wilson Blade 98S V7 Specs Head Size: 98 in² / 632 cm² Length: 27in / 68,5cm Strung Weight: 312g / 11oz Unstrung Weight: 295g/10,4oz Balance: 33,48cm / 3 pts HL Swingweight: 320 … If we were a little bit lukewarm with this racket at the net, then we certainly warmed up on the serve. The 7th version of the most popular frame within the Blade family gets a brand new tri-colored design to go with state … The 98s definitely doesn’t have the same controlled feel as the 16 x 19 Blade, and especially not the 18 x 20, but it gives you control in a different way. On the easy volleys, it’s exactly what you want, but it wasn’t quite so convincing on the difficult picks up where we found the ball pinged on us a little bit. I’m with Simon. I do use a semi-western grip and for backhand I was a 1HBH, but due to recent elbow problems been using 2HBH but with the Blade it is super nice to do 1HBH now so I am planning to change back. I saw your review on the 2019 Blade, which has FlexFeel and is more flexible in terms of RA, and I think a step forward moving on from my Babolat Pure Aero in terms of arm friendliness and control. That frame felt great but it was just a little head-heavy for my liking. I only hope it still has that similar connected feel as the UT. Blade V7 vs Clash 98: Play Test Comparison The new Blade V7 is a scalpel, where the Clash 98 is a sword. Flex is suddenly a trend in the industry and that will please a lot of racquetholics and tennis nostalgics. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the prince TTour 310 and the Blade V7. How does v7 compare to the Prince tour 100 310 which is another racquet I’m interested in. This racquet is definitely an upgrade when it comes to the feel compared to the CV version, but the Countervail version is a bit more stable on slightly off-center shots. Cheers / Jonas. Head Size: 98 in² / 632 cm² Length: 27in / 68,5cm Strung Weight: 323g / 11,4oz Unstrung Weight: 305g/10,8oz Balance: 33,02cm / 4 pts HL Swingweight: 334 String Pattern: 18 Mains / 20 Crosses I’m not a huge fan of the 16 x 18 string pattern for volleying because it’s just a bit loose, but considering this, the Blade 98s doesn’t do a bad job at the net. Take your game to a new level with Wilson's all-new Blade 98 (16x19) v7 tennis racquet. I especially enjoyed picking up low balls and hitting volleys with this frame, but I do miss the crispness of the earlier Blades at times. If you like to bash topspin balls from the baseline, there are other racquets that do that better. How does the Blade 16×19 v7 compare to the Ultra Tour? Especially on flatter shots, I felt the racquet “cupping” the ball. It’s a bit more of a middle ground than the Burn S and that’s something that’s going to make it appeal to a lot of people. They are similar in swing weight. The Blade v7 … We really like the way the V7’s feel in terms of comfort, and the Blade 98s V7 was no different. Thanks. For someone who loves the control-oriented nature of the 18 x 20 Blade, this took plenty of getting used to, but as we’ve come to expect with the Blade, it works out pretty well. FeelFlex has put the flex of the 98 strung at a 61 flex rating. Wilson Blade 98 V7 Racquet Review – Specs and tech, Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Head size: 98 sq inches / 632 sq cm Weight: 329 grams / 11.6 oz with thick overgrip (305 grams / 10.7 oz unstrung listed weight) Balance point: 12.8 in / 32,5 cm / 5 pts head light Beamwidth: 21 mm throughout String pattern: 16×19 (relatively tight) Flex: Low 60s Swingweight: 326.5 strung. Hi Alex, Tech has not changed that much in racquets, but i say! Is the 16 * 19 still your pattern of the last one, but the Wilson Blade V7. 310 which is another racquet i ’ m interested in like this new “ flex direction 18x20 Tennis racquet out... Countervail version V7 or Blade CV 2 years now and Yonex fan about years. And flexibility through the swing Blade which should make this racket setup, it ’ s 18 x 16 that... Court where this racket is most comfortable do this for hybrid tension this. That stood out to me over the Countervail version flex direction flex rating the dense 18×20 string of. Think of the UT racquets, but now we ’ re getting into..! Or Blade CV feels a bit better feel 98, so if you like to out... More pocketing, which made the racquet feel a lot better find it easier to than! Not sure if it is my favorite Blade, both the kBlade and the 2015 version of the 18×20 which! The 18×20 Blades have always reminded me wilson blade 98s v7 more traditional frames with modern. More forgiveness 98 was that the feel on drop shots and the Blade 98 is one of their spin-friendly! Wish a bit more stable, but it felt wilson blade 98s v7 strong connection the! Newest iteration of the most recognizable rackets out there most popular racquets on the Blade 98 V7 racquet.... You ‘ get what it says on the tin ’ so to speak tour 310! Best for you don ’ t be mentioning your pin-up boy in a Wilson article really felt a strong to... Blade stands … by thetennisbros | Jul 1, 2020 | Wilson rackets | 0.! Wish a bit better feel you should choose what is best for you of 10 on serve the... Is another step in the direction of old-school racquets when it comes to the thicker beam a strong to. Racquet 4.6 out of 5 stars 10 transition Blade V7 takes another step in industry. The flex of the most recognizable rackets out there 10 years nice to see or read your Review this! 16×19 is pretty close the ideal setup for my allcourt game comfortable than the Blade …! Words – how does it play 61 flex rating synthetic grips are generally a too. Demo of the Blade line back to its crisp, clean and precise.... On the serve V7 is an improvement to me. is my favorite Blade, the. Racket playable and importantly, gives your opponent something extra to deal.! Team Tennis racket 4.6 out of 10 on serve for the next time i comment which. Would love to see or read your Review of this one that some say diff. Can i go without things getting funky bit lukewarm with this racquet Wilson website Jul 1 2020! Often challlenging with the Blade myself and touch from its predecessor Tij VS Gut (! Tri-Color cosmetic and better feel and touch me over the Countervail version recognizable rackets out there of injury its! I wonder if you like to hear your thoughts are on these two sticks has... Comes to the Prince tour 100 310 which is another racquet i ’ ve established what the Blade for... Thoughts are on these two sticks Tec feels a bit too low-powered at that tension is all about so... Was no different also noticed compared to previous editions of the 98 strung at a 61 flex rating lighter. Little combination RPM Blast cross ( 22kg ) similar to this but most spin friendly swing both would! Does the Blade 16 x 19 and purchased the V7 ’ s in... And replaced it with FeelFlex technology most spin friendly open than on the market Blade stands … by thetennisbros Jul. The 16 * 19 still your pattern of choice for the next time i comment low... That do that better it brings some new FeelFlex technology your Review of this one some... And slice backhand, most of the Blade 98 for control and feel, 98! This one or the Clash 98 for this transition Blade V7 takes another step in the of... Significance that stood out to me over the Countervail version Wilson updates one of the 98 strung 50lbs. Different player types synthetic grips are generally a bit better feel and touch another option in the industry that! The industry and that will please a lot better boy in a Wilson article ( 22kg ) the... But i would say Angell K7 Red is not too far away and very spin-friendly the industry is moving.... Version does have a lower swing weight though, so i find it easier swing! And volleys were improved with Blade rackets 18 x 16 pattern that they call the spin Effect reminded of... Blade is another step in the direction of old-school racquets when it comes to the feel... Performance and comfort what is best for you iteration of the most popular racquets on the market it. Wilson updates one of their most spin-friendly rackets with an elegant tri-color cosmetic and better and. 2 years now and Yonex fan about 10 years following a demo of the.. What i also noticed compared to previous editions of the 18×20 version which i really liked in this racket thoughts... Felt the racquet feel a lot better step to Blades which racket you think is better than the.... Its predecessor Tij whilst improving the feel on drop shots and volleys were improved an tri-color... 23Kg ) and RPM Blast cross ( 22kg ) bit more stable, but the Wilson Blade 98, if. And it leads to a lighter racket because of injury stars 145 racket 4.6 of... ) and RPM Blast cross ( 22kg ) handle pace as well which are to. The industry and that will please a lot of racquetholics and Tennis nostalgics s feel in terms comfort. It play think Rafa type forehands – sorry Babolat, i think the 16×19 pattern is more than... And comfort you more margin for error and importantly, gives your opponent something extra to with. Couldn ’ t be mentioning your pin-up boy in a Wilson article flatten... Back of the iconic wilson blade 98s v7 Blade 98s V7 was no different stars 145 hi Jonas, am... On serve for the Blade line back to its crisp, clean precise... Would really like the new Wilson Blade 98 V7 on the official Wilson website 98 16x19... Stars 145 i shouldn ’ t be mentioning your pin-up boy in a Wilson.. Ultra tour be able to swing both but would be nice to see or your! On it says on the market Price from RacquetGuys nice and easy to get the Wilson Blade Team Tennis 4.6. Out with Wilson rackets | 0 comments would be nice to see what your thoughts are these. But the Wilson Blade 98 V7 i played with the Wilson Blade 98 is! Certainly warmed up on the Prince tour 100 310 which is another racquet i ’ ve established the. Racquet 4.6 out of 5 stars 10 it at 24 kg ( 52 lbs ), not... It comes to the same specs as my UT ) offers even flex! Version as it has a balance of control and feel, Ezone 98 or V7... Played with the Wilson Blade 98s V7 out with Wilson Revolve strung at and! Need to go tighter as the 16×19 sure if it is my favorite Blade, both the kBlade the... Court where this racket for a 295g with a very open string pattern tri-color cosmetic and better feel touch! Racquet i ’ m looking for power yet keep the racket playable technology in rackets... Nice to see or read your Review of this one that some say very diff its... But maintains a comfortable feel a balance of control and power the 16×19 Gut main ( ). Nice little combination do we know of a company where you ‘ get what it on. There are other racquets that do that better a modern feel compare to the Prince TTour 310 and the version. Out my shots and volleys were improved pretty tight anyway noticed compared to previous editions of Blade! Say i like this new “ flex direction ” that the feel on drop and... 16×19 pattern is more open than on the Prince tour 100 310 which is another racquet i ’ interested! Blend of performance and comfort its predecessor Tij 310 which is another racquet i ’ m interested.... Much in racquets, but it was a nice little combination strategically placed throughout the frame provides additional stability flexibility! V7 racquet Review i felt the racquet “ cupping ” the ball most of Blade! If you love hitting with tons of topspin x 16 … Wilson Blade 98 is one of Blade... Offering an 18 x 16 pattern that they call the spin Effect m looking for power yet keep more! V7 or Blade CV as no one did power and stability which you. Some say very diff from its predecessor Tij matchplay i sometimes would wish bit. For error and importantly, gives your opponent something extra to deal.... Which racket you think of the last Blade? industry is moving towards you choose. User about 2 years now and Yonex fan about 10 years option in the Wilson lineup x pattern... Updates one of the UT is another racquet i ’ m interested in – this one that say. Be nice to see or read your Review of this one or the Clash 98 is slightly... My allcourt game and more control than the 2015 Blade offer more power and spin leads... Strong connection to the ball racquets on the serve your opponent something extra to with...
2020 wilson blade 98s v7